Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unparallel Curtain Wall Horizontal Mullions - Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unparallel Curtain Wall Horizontal Mullions - Possible?

I have a curtain wall (canted, made with wall by mass face) and my vertical mullions are just that, vertical. I would like my horizontal mullions to be varied in their angular arrangement. I know I can put all of the horizontal grids at a different angle, but is there a way to control individual curtain grid lines in regard to the their angle.

I know I can get this done with three or four curtain walls attacked on top of each other, but I am hoping for a better workflow...especially considering the supporting mass would need to be highly reconfigured every time a change is made.

Of courts all of this would be moot if I could modify the profile of wall-by-slanted-face curtain walls

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Drew

You can create mullions which are at custom angles in the Conceptual Massing environment.
    Create a Divided Surface. Then use Model Lines or Reference Planes to draw the mullions at whatever angle you need. Turn off the U/V Grid and use
    Intersects to make your custom grid lines.

See attached example.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cliff collins; June 28, 2011, 04:34 PM.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Cliff,

Thanks, but I have already been down that road and the workflow to an actual curtain wall object in the Revit environment (not the conceptual mass environment) is pretty hairy, or at least I was less than impressed with the workflow (or lack thereof) and abandoned it pretty quickly.

In your example, how did that translate into the Revit environment and a Curtain Wall? My main problem is that while I can model just about whatever I want in the massing environment, making it in an intelligent way so that I can update the mass as ideas change and have Revit generally follow the changes is bear. I have sunk more time into making, essentially, modeling crutches and formulating massing workflows that allow me to manipulate the mass in a decent amount of time than anything else probably.

So to wrap up: did your conceptual mass shown above go into Revit and how did it translate into (or perhaps more correctly 'support the making of') a curtain wall. Sorry for the ramble

Thanks again,
      Drew

Comment

Drew,

Yes-the Curtain System in the example was created from a Conceptual Mass, with canted faces. Then a Divided Surface was generated. The U/V grids
        were turned off. Then in an elevation view, lines were drawn for the custom angled mullions. Then the lines were selected and used as Intersects to "project"
        the lines onto the canted face. The Mass was then loaded into the Project.

It is a complicated method, but it works. I think there are some good video tutorials on the Vasari website that go over using Grid by Intersects.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Cliff,

Thanks...again, it would appear. I asked this question a few months back and you answered similarly. It was then that I tried it before. My apologies, this is not what I am looking for. I just tried it again, not remembering my previous foray and it result in the same roadblock: Revit does not allow you to place a curtain wall by face on a divided surface. Here is the previous discussion.

http://www.revitforum.org/showthread...=8369#post8369

For better or worse, Aaron’s info is what I needed to know…then and now it would seem.

I will say again though...the fact that I cannot do use workflow to get to a true curtain wall in Revit is complete nonsense. If the massing environment is going to support 'real work' in Revit it needs to be translatable in a coherent fashion, not a though a (what seems to me) a tortured work around.

Ugh, my apologies. I will make the seperate surfaces for seperate curtain walls then. Again...ugh. :banghead:

Thank you,
          Drew

PS...in all reality this icon :banghead: needs to show a slanted wall to be Revit specific

Comment

Drew,

Sorry--forgot about that earlier post!

Seems I did get the divided surface and intersects to work somehow..............perhaps with Adaptive Components and a Custom Pattern applied to it?

Looks like I'm getting old and forgetful............LOL
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

You can get non-parallel Mullions on a REGULAR Curtain Wall, but it means you need to have vertices in the mass, at the points that connect the non-parallel mullions... So you have to do a bit of fancy work in the Mass Editor.

Pattern Based =/ Curtain Walls.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks Cliff. Perhaps next time I will seach for my own posts

That beign said, this project has been and is putting me throught he massing wringer and I think I will have a good list of do's and don'ts (mostly dont's...lol) by the end. I promise to share.

Aaron, good to know...if nothing else I am getting pretty good at fancy work in the mass editor.

Thanks again,
                Drew

Comment

M also facing similar kinda problem..so what was the final solution you guys concluded..please trll me the process to be followed

Comment

This maybe a lame solution to some, but depending on how many you have you can create a face based mullion family with offset parameters so you can host it on the glass. then create a view with the face of system as the workplane and place and stretch your face based mullion(GM) as need. It won't clean up nice on the ends but you could easily create an instance based void on each end to control it.
                    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment