Revit for DTP!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit for DTP!?

From the off, I'm not suggesting we replace InDesign w/ Revit - that I know would be a big ask - BUT does anyone here produce "presentation style" sheets/boards within their Revit model environments? Ie. instead of taking renders and views out for compiling in another program - instead bring in images into Revit?

Have I just proposed a model file size killer?

Tons of people do presentation style graphics in Revit. Theres nothing about it that will kill model file size (which isnt indicative of anything anyway). There was an entire class on this subject at RTC Saturday. Some custom titleblocks, custom room tags, custom entourage families, and you are on the way to gorgeous presentations.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

That's what I wanted to hear!

I've already developed .rfa versions of many of our office "standard" templates beyond simple drawing titleblocks - and I'm working up the range of text styles to suit also - I just wanted to see if if was feasible to reverse engineer our presentation workflow in the favour of those in the drawing office who want to be part of the "final product", but currently have to make do with watching on dismay as our marketing/graphical teams have their wicked way.

Comment

Every time I hear about RTC I get jealous I couldn't be there. Sounds like a great conference.

We do presentation stuff all the time within Revit and discourage disjointed workflows. However, as always I'm sure we could do better.
        Darryl Store - Associate (BIM)
        [email protected]
        Twitter: @darrylstore

Comment

Yup, I do presentations from Revit too... Interiors, schematics, sales drawings, salespitch-boards, etc, etc.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

So far responses are exactly what I'd hoped for - thanks - but might I press for some particulars?

Firstly, for "presentation" sheets, do you create the sheet as a view (standard, legend, drafting or otherwise) and place that alone on the sheet? Or do you that place parts, ie. do the "writing" on the sheet itself, then place/arrange views & images like you would in a DTP?

Secondly, do you retain the sheets once published? How do you handle the views (within them) "growing" throughout the project? I'm thinking a watermark-stamp here or some other device to say something like "This does not represent what was sent XX/XX/XX" - it's seldom we ever go back to the original documents for things like these - they're very much line in the sand, and we tend to simply reach for the issued .pdf (shudder) that came out of InDesign... but it's a factor/concern nonetheless.

I know the answers to these will probably come with "...depends on the job..." and "...typically we..." caveats, but I'm just trying to get a feeling for how reasonable this would be to roll-out in an office only half-convinced by Revit.

Comment

Well, I place multiple views/images/other stuff on a sheet and format the sheet. I can't see it otherwise since a big part of the presentation is "live" modelling.
              As for the issuing part: well that's sort of the same as with any other document from my model. It gets stamped, and anyone who wants to look at it after three months does so on their own responibility.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                Or do you that place parts, ie. do the "writing" on the sheet itself, then place/arrange views & images like you would in a DTP?
                This is what we find ourselves doing more and more. Because it sucks to waste time re-exporting changes into InDesign. So while Revit can be a little slow sometimes at being a DTP, it's way faster than working with two programs.

We've also found that it doesn't really hurt performance too much to work this way. Computers are cheap and time isn't, so we just bought better computers and we've been rocking it with lots of pictures, 3D views, notes, 2D views, imported & captured renderings, etc. Wish we could even embed videos and documents from other systems, like PDFs!
                Jeffrey McGrew
                Architect & Founder
                Because We Can, a Design-Build Studio
                Check out our new sister company Model No. making sustainable 3D printed furniture!

Comment