Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stacked wall - location line issues?

I'm running into an issue in my office that has us all little stumped:

So we're utilizing stacked walls for the exterior of a 3 story apartment style building, and it's worked great up to this point; the bottom of the wall is brick, the upper is siding, and the stacked wall offset (under the 'edit assembly' dialog box) is set to Core face:exterior. The two wall types in the stacked wall are the same from the interior through the core, with the only differences coming on the exterior sides of the wall assemblies. Additionally, all the wall location lines have been drawn/set to core face:exterior.

The problem comes when I try to adjust the components of the lower wall: I want to take 1/2" out of our air gap behind the brick, but once I hit OK, it cycles for a while, spits out a couple warnings (line too short, deletes a couple instances of doors, unjoins a couple things), and shrinks the wall 1/4" on both the exterior and interior - ie, it's treating it as if the location line were set to 'wall centerline'. The walls aren't locked to or constrained by anything, so for the life of me I can't figure out why it's doing it...

We did come up with a workaround (create a duplicate of the stacked wall and the wall we want to edit, make the changes to the duplicate, then swap all of the existing stacked walls out with the duplicates), but I really don't want that to be our method of operation every time we want to modify a stacked wall.

Am I missing something?

It will always happen if the basic wall you are editing is one of the basic walls defining the overall extents of the thickness of the Stacked Wall. Been that way forever- or at least, since 9.1 when i first used stacked walls, lol.

You dont have to duplicate all of the stacked walls to get around it, but you have to duplicate the Basic walls, and edit the duplicate. Then go in the Type Props of the stacked wall and swap them out. That way the editing of the basic wall thickness, and the editing of the stacked wall, is two distinct actions.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I am having the exact same problem. I tried duplicating the stacked wall type, duplicating the wall types within the stacked wall and replacing them, still to no avail! Is this just a revit glitch? It seems that if I add a new wall type to my stacked wall that is under a certain distance, it won't effect the location line and the stacked wall will "grow" in an appropriate manner. However, for example, when I try to add a 16" foundation wall to the bottom of my stacked wall, the location line moves and the entire wall moves with it. I have my finished faces set to the same thing! Has anyone found another solution to this?

I am using Revit 2015

Comment

Have the same problem in Revit 2017.
        Anyone?

Kind regards!
        Bartek

Comment

Works okay over here, using the methods above. Are you sure you are duplicating and editing in the correct order, and that your Alignment in the stacked wall is set in such a way that won't make the wall *shift?*
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment