Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to work appropriately with Reference Planes and Reference Lines???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to work appropriately with Reference Planes and Reference Lines???

Hello!

I'm trying to work with Reference Planes, but with very little success.

I'm finding quite hard to manipulate their orientation, size, and relationship with other elements. I'm sending a picture to demonstrate it.

I first drew a Ref. Plane in my South View, as the 1st picture shows. Then I went to the 3D view to see how it looked like, and I really don't understand why it looks that way! As you can see, the Ref. Plane created is bigger than the line I sketched. I also expected its borders to be parallel to the South View, but they are not.

Sometimes I create Ref. Planes that are supposed to be in a certain position, according to my Side View, but they end up appearing very far away in 3D View. Although they are correct in terms of angles, like they were a part of the infinite plane that passes exactly were my Ref. Plane should be, they sometimes don't show up WHERE I wanted it to be. So that means I have to search for the Ref. Plane in my Project and resize it, so then it becomes visible where I wanted it in the first place.

Also, I wanted to understand better how to use Ref. Planes to define shapes (like the Attach to Wall tool), and how can I create a Ref. Plane that is not perpendicular to any Side View. Munkholm said that for that I should use Ref. Lines instead of Planes, but I'm still quite lost.

And what if I don't want a Ref. Plane anymore, can't I delete it?

And one last thing: if I want to work with a Ref. Plane and Masses, should I sketch the Ref. Plane while editing the Mass, or it doesn't matter if my Ref. Plane is outside the Mass?

Sorry for the huge amount of questions! =(

Thanks a lot!!!
    Attached Files

Don't worry about the looks of that blue rectangle shown by the "Show" tool. It might be confusing. It could be rotated, or look as if it was wrong, but it just sometimes responds to the point of view of the current view. The important thing to understand is that reference planes are infinite, so they are not actually limited by that blue rectangle, or by its apparent rotation or orientation. Just turn that off, clicking on "Show" again, and continue working.

Reference planes can be created, and deleted, yes. Only in the family editor, some main reference planes cannot be deleted.

A reference plane that is not perpendicular to any of the orthogonal views? One way is to create an object, then use Set > pick a plane.

Reference lines? Most likely, they are used to create constraints in geometrical shapes, such as arcs, circles, or polygons, or to work with angular parameters.

About the last question on mass vs. reference planes, I don't understand if by "outside" you mean "outside of the sketch" or simply separated from the mass.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticSon View Post
      Hello!

I'm trying to work with Reference Planes, but with very little success.

I'm finding quite hard to manipulate their orientation, size, and relationship with other elements. I'm sending a picture to demonstrate it.

I first drew a Ref. Plane in my South View, as the 1st picture shows. Then I went to the 3D view to see how it looked like, and I really don't understand why it looks that way! As you can see, the Ref. Plane created is bigger than the line I sketched. I also expected its borders to be parallel to the South View, but they are not.
      Don't worry, Refplanes aren't easy to grasp.
      A Reference Plane can best be compared to a Level. It's infinite. The line you're drawing in plan view is only an aid to help you see where you placed it. The reason you can change the length is simply because that's easier to work with. If all your refplanes would look like xlines in autocad, it would get very confusing.
      The size of the blue square in 3D is randomly chosen, amongst others depending on the size of other elements in the view.

Sometimes I create Ref. Planes that are supposed to be in a certain position, according to my Side View, but they end up appearing very far away in 3D View. Although they are correct in terms of angles, like they were a part of the infinite plane that passes exactly were my Ref. Plane should be, they sometimes don't show up WHERE I wanted it to be. So that means I have to search for the Ref. Plane in my Project and resize it, so then it becomes visible where I wanted it in the first place.
      Does this happen in projects with elements in them? Or only when you start up a project? Because most likely, in 3D the refplane will show near the project base point in order to keep the view compact. In all other situations it seems like a bug to me, which I frankly don't recognise.

Also, I wanted to understand better how to use Ref. Planes to define shapes (like the Attach to Wall tool), and how can I create a Ref. Plane that is not perpendicular to any Side View. Munkholm said that for that I should use Ref. Lines instead of Planes, but I'm still quite lost.

And what if I don't want a Ref. Plane anymore, can't I delete it?

And one last thing: if I want to work with a Ref. Plane and Masses, should I sketch the Ref. Plane while editing the Mass, or it doesn't matter if my Ref. Plane is outside the Mass?
      Yes you can delete it. But after it's placed, you can't change the orientation or something. In the Family Editor there are some hardcoded refplanes (and you'll always need at least 2 refplanes, one in north-south and one in east-west orientation that together define the origin (base point) of the family.

If you want to create a refplane which is not perpendicular to any side view, well you could always create it in plan view. If it's also not perpendicular to the plan view I'd recommend following these steps:

1. Draw a refplane in plan view perpendicular to the horizontal orientation of the desired refplane.
      2. Go to View Tab, select Section and create a section snapping to the ref plane you just drew.
      3. Go to the section view, now you can draw a tilted refplane perpendicular to the orientation of the section.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
        ...most likely, in 3D the refplane will show near the project base point in order to keep the view compact. In all other situations it seems like a bug to me, which I frankly don't recognise.

Yes! That's exactly what happened! In my project, I imported a DWG file that has real coordinates, bu I was working with my model in another corner of the project, far away from my terrain.

I understand that Refplanes are infinite, but I felt weird they their visible blue rectangles would appear randomly with different sizes ans so on. So, it IS actually random...oh well, that explains it. =)

I didn't get some of the things you guys explained, but I don't have access to Revit at the moment, so I'll try them tomorrow in the program.

Thanks a lot!!!

Comment