how to switch out one material for another in the project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to switch out one material for another in the project

Hey, is there a workflow to change one material project wide into another material, without going through family by family for instance we have two aluminum material in the project, and we want to consolidate them all as one, can i combine them under one material?

thanks for the help

As I understand it the Material API isn't very open and things that should be fairly simple like that are not currently possible

Might be possible with Dynamo though. :coffee:
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

so i shall assume it is not possible, and i should look forward to a mat swap fun party
      if anyone has a magical solution, you will be my hero, if not, sigh yey revit haha

Comment

If it is just the appearance it would not be super hard. You can assign the same appearance asset to multiple materials. But if you need them to change names to a new material there is no real great way to do it except through brute force.
        Jeff Hanson
        Sr. Subject Matter Expert
        Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

If the family has shared parameters for material then you should be able to change them in a schedule (this reason is why my material parameters are usually shared). If not try creating a material take off schedule, sort by Material: Name and uncheck itemize every instance. Then click into a field in the schedule and switch to a model view, this should have all of the families of that material selected, then using the properties filter change to the different family types and change the appropriate property. I haven't tried this for this exact scenario but have used material take offs for similar things in the past.
          Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
          www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
          @Twitter

Comment

Thanks I hope the schedule approach works, that would be the most comprehensive way

Comment

If the material is not used in the project anywhere where you don't want to change it you could just duplicated the material, change the original material to what you want it to be then rename the duplicate to the original name (take away the '1' after the name). That is of course if you want to retain the original material in your library. Otherwise just overwrite the material.

Comment

there's also this: POLYNINE STUDIO: Find and Replace Materials for Revit
                www.polyninestudio.com | @Twitter |[email protected]

FIND AND REPLACE MATERIALS FOR REVIT PLUGIN: www.polyninestudio.com/findreplacematerialsrevit.html

Comment