Workflow for drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workflow for drawings

In some point i have to export all drawings and set them in appropriate way. I got problem when i exported all drawings beautifully done and after ~2 weeks we had meeting with Building services engineers, before meeting, boss said to print those main drawings in 2 hours. But during that 2 weeks i've been modeling and drawings changed etc and were not ready for printing due to changes... How can i save drawing sheets so that next time i would open up sheet that was set up before that looks identically and print it easily? Should is save it as a separate project?

workflow for drawings

Originally posted by bangobeat View Post
    In some point i have to export all drawings
    This sounds like it defeats the point of revit - where the drawings should already look beautiful and be ready to print.

What can you do outside revit that you can't do inside - are you exporting them to CAD?

Comment

Yes , here in Poland almost every engineer using autocad so i need them export to autocad.. Sad but true. I only know how to measure in autocad, so thats the point that i will always print and work in revit.. I guess there is only 1 way to document drawings and drawing process just by saving as another project?
      Last edited by bangobeat; June 24, 2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Yep, Saving the model before undertaking another round of updates is the easiest way. Particularly if you issue a set of drawings, saving a zipped up copy of the model with the PDFs can save those headaches when you have spent 2 weeks working away and the consultants want the drawings as they stood 2 weeks ago in DWG
        Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

We print PDF sets at each milestone and place them in an Archive, for just the purpose you describe.
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

I always retain a pdf copy whenever I send the drawings out. The copy is marked when, to whom and for what purpose it was sent.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
              We print PDF sets at each milestone and place them in an Archive, for just the purpose you describe.

Or as we do, have exported CAD & PDF within the transmitttal / issue date folder AND the model archived at each milestone.

Comment

What do you mean guys by milestone? Regular planned activity ( to archive project) = milestone? Or the difference between two phases for instance?

Comment

In the earlier years we had to export a lot of our work, and got round the issue you're having by exporting to a .dwg that we then xref'd into a host .dwg with titlesheet, revisions, additional linework, dimensions, layer adjustments etc... then whenever we exported, the "work" we added wasn't lost, and the xref just came in under.

Using layer states talking through the xref meant any adjustments we'd done that we weren't (at that stage) doing in Revit were retained, dimensions could be quickly checked and adjusted, and the revision block notes from previous versions were still there and only needed the new one.

So long as you're not doing a lot of edits to the export itself (ie. wall joining cleaning etc) that should sort you out.

But seriously, you need to push for .dwf as your publishing format and have your consultants educate (themselves) in the use of Design Review. PDF is dead.

As for looking after your work, you need to establish a system like that proposed by others here... sometimes our QA makes me want to scream, but I'd probably end up punching kittens if I worked somewhere that was only just starting to see the risk management benefits of incremental, milestone archival! We do ours daily. And that's not the IT-side of backup - that's user-intiated!
                  Last edited by snowyweston; June 24, 2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bangobeat View Post
                    What do you mean guys by milestone? Regular planned activity ( to archive project) = milestone? Or the difference between two phases for instance?
                    If I understand the term correctly, a Milestone is the moment you round up a phase in the design process. But I would archive way more. Maybe once a day is a bit over the top, but I at least rename and archive once a week (or once every Revit crash)
                    Martijn de Riet
                    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                    MdR Advies
                    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment