Upgraded to 2012, now machine is a snail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to 2012, now machine is a snail

Has anyone had problems with upgrading to 2012 and it killing performance?
    We upgraded a week or so ago and one of our machines, which ran 2011 fine, is so slow that it has been rendered absolutely useless. Granted, it's an older 32-bit XP machine, but does is the new software really that much more resource intensive?

For reference here are computer specs and the issues:
    XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3
    Intel Core 2
    6400 @ 2.13 GHz
    3.50 GB of RAM

Options bars at top multiply seemingly randomly (sometimes 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 5)
    3d views choke severely when "drawing", esp. with shadows on (can take minutes)
    Frequent restarts don't seem to be effective, nor is full re-boot

Comment

Was graphics hardware acceleration working in 2011 and is not in 2012? The slow shadows and jumping UI suggest it might be possible, and you may need to play graphics driver shuffle to get it all to work. Also, you don't mention what graphics card you have. Everything else can be more than adequate, and then a totally underpowered graphics card can bring things to its knees.

That said, running a brand new piece of software on a 10 year old OS is fraught with peril. My sense so far is that some things (too many) are a bit slower, and some things (just a few) are a lot faster. But in general 2012 "feels" faster, because the things that where sped up are user interaction stuff. Things that slowed down are massive family updates and the like.

Gordon
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

See here for system requirements... http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_we...uirements.html

Most would discount the "recommended" specs as overkill for smaller firms or jobs, but you never know what you might need, and there's something to be said for having a system that allows you to produce work faster. There's "good enough" and then there's "better than enough so more gets done". It took me a while to convince the firm I work for to adopt the latter philosophy, but ever since, I've gotten nothing but praise as it does translate into more timely submissions, fewer problems (with quality hardware) and ultimately a more attractive bottom line in the end.

XP (service pack 2) is near retirement as far as support goes, Microsoft artificially extended support for service pack 2, and application support for 32-bit systems is going bye-bye fast. I'm actually surprised that Autodesk released a 32-bit version of Revit 2012 given that the minimum memory requirement is the max addressable by 32-bit CPU's (4GB).

One thing that is not on the recommended list that should be is a solid state drive as opposed to a hard disk. It really does make a world of difference.

HOWEVER, you could first try all the tricks... defragment the hard drive, free up some disk space (if you're running low), updated your video drivers, or if all that fails to improve performance, try a fresh reload of the operating system.
        Last edited by scott.settles; June 23, 2011, 08:01 PM.
        Network Administrator
        Dallas, Texas

Comment

Graphics card is nVidia Quadro FX3450/4000 with the most recent Autodesk approved drivers.

Hardware acceleration was turned on in 2011, and we tried disabling it in 2012 but it had no effect.
          Last edited by stl4310; June 23, 2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I would try a few other drivers. Honestly, the Autodesk card list is useless, and the tested drivers nearly so. I tend to just start with the latest driver and work backwards till I get something that is stable. If it works but isn't on Autodesk's list, I don't worry too much.

Also, killing CommCenter is certainly a stability enhancer, but I don't remember hearing it cause these specific problems. I have my doubts it will help, but probably worth doing anyway.

Gordon
            Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Where would I find the previous drivers, nVidia website?

Comment

Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
                Where would I find the previous drivers, nVidia website?
                http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
                Network Administrator
                Dallas, Texas

Comment

Yeah, you can find any of the old versions here. It is worth checking tho, is this an old Dell machine? At one point Dell only supported their own drivers, and of course they didn't test against something as esoteric as Revit. Not that the nVidia reference drivers won't work, but it could be an added complexity, especially if you have to call Dell for support and they won't help you till you have their driver installed.

Also, the FX 3450 is the same GPU as the GeForce 6800, the NV42 from 2005. Given that much of the improvements in 2012 are indeed in the utilization of the GPU more fully (i.e. all that nice eye candy we love) it could very well be that 2011 was pushing the hardware to its limit, and 2012 pushes beyond. Given the pricing of some of the GeForce cards in the 4xx and 5xx range, it may be worth looking into an upgrade. But I would be hesitant in XP. I tend not to trust some of the newest hardware and drivers to really be QCd on the old OS, even more so XP x64. Moving to Windows 7 x64 has been a huge improvement when it comes to driver performance and stability. There are still issues, but so much less. And so many other improvements in the OS that it is well worth considering. Windows 7 is not Vista.

Lastly, any chance you are automating the install with SCCM? There seems to be a problem with the DX install on XM using SCCM 2007. This from the Revit 2012 readme

-----------------
                  DirectX Installation Using SCCM

DirectX installations using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007 fail on systems running Microsoft Windows XP. Before installing with SCCM, download and install DirectX 9 from your Revit Architecture 2012 installation disc to one of the following directories...

Best,
                  Gordon
                  Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

We are downloading the newest nVidia driver, the one that Autodesk recommended is already 6 months out of date according to nVidia. I'll let you know if that works.

Comment