Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best practices for highly detailed roofing - how detailed can we get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best practices for highly detailed roofing - how detailed can we get?

I've attached an average level of detail edge condition to give an idea of what I'm talking about.
    I'd say I'm low/intermediate level Revit user, trying to transfer my office to Revit and I'm coming up against some walls.

I know that its my skill level that is holding back progress and my usual " read everything I possibly can to find an answer" method isn't getting me that far.
    After a few weeks of attempting to get the level of detail I need, I'm at the end of the line in terms of what I can do without help.

I'm looking to do the work to get as much detail as possible out of Revit.

My question is, how detailed can we get?
    What methods would the Revit forum recommend to achieve the highest level of detail?

Thank you for any help!

If you are talking detailed modeling most of it can happen but depending on project type etc it usually isn't needed. If you are talking about generating details then yes you can still create intelligent detail item families and use those. I am passionate about modeling what is needed yet not weighing it down. In Revit you more than likely aren't going to attempt to model waterproofing membranes, fasteners etc so you will still need components to finalize the details. As for the flashing and the blocking this is possible but you have to determine is it worth it.

I have done several webcasts on detailing in Revit if you want to see what I am talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9TDD6Lbpqo
    Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
    www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
    @Twitter

Comment

The bigger issue is that that graphical representation of that detail and the actual construction are different. In order for everything to be legible the various components are offset from the wall / roof by X amount (typically 1/4" - 1/2") and may have a thickness that doesn't actually exist in the real world. You could model every bit of that detail but you would still need a detail to illustrate how it is assembled.
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

BD, these are important things that I hadn't really considered but that really makes perfect sense.
        Thank you for the video link, I'll definitely be utilizing it.

Comment

Cellophane, I had considered offsets for legibility but not making separate components instead of modeling all the detail in to the main model. That seems to be the best option. Thank you.

Comment