Using area plans instead of floor plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using area plans instead of floor plans

I am working on a multi-story apartment building, and need to display the apartment numbers on various plans (GAs, setting out, acoustic strategy, etc..) currently only the GAs are set up as area plans, meaning all the other plans are using dumb text to display the apartment numbers and areas, this makes it a hassle to update, and increases the risk of errors as it all has to be done manually.
    So thinking about it, I don't see the benefit of using Floor plans for my plan drawings when I can use area plans instead. Area plans can display room numbers, tags, and all the other information I need. While Floor plans can not displace area names, or area numbers.

I see some people use area plans as an underlay to regular plans, however if all I need is to show the area numbers, and the area names, why go to the trouble of having two drawings. Cut the middleman, and just use area plans for everything.

Is there any reason not to?

I can't see any reason - especially not for Architectural Plans. If you setup your VG properly you can get the exact same stuff in area plans as in normal plans, plus (as you say) the added bonus of seeing the area tags also.

Of course there's only one set of areas per area plan. If you want to show (e.g.) overall apartment areas which cover sub-areas (e.g. areas instead of rooms) you either do it through adding a schedule per apartment, or you have a 2nd area type and use the overlay trick.

Comment

You cant have different view types for Areas, the way you can have different Floor Plans. That means losing a lot of automation over Linked View Templates and different types of drawings in an Architectural drawing set. If that doesnt really bother you (along with having all of your plans crammed under one heading in the Project Browser), then i guess itll work...
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Create shared parameters for your units and create a unit tag (room tag). Add the new SP to your rooms and set each group of rooms per apartment to a Unit. You can then tag the unit and it isn't a manual update all over the place - update the SP, tags all update. There is a post from a while back that goes into it in more detail, search should pull it up. I'll look as well - I might have it bookmarked.

here she is: http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...ice-rooms.html
        Last edited by cellophane; December 4, 2014, 03:10 PM.
        Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
        BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          You cant have different view types for Areas, the way you can have different Floor Plans. That means losing a lot of automation over Linked View Templates and different types of drawings in an Architectural drawing set. If that doesnt really bother you (along with having all of your plans crammed under one heading in the Project Browser), then i guess itll work...

My project browser is organised my series number, so that is not a huge deal breakers for me. However, the view types could be a bigger issue. Fair point, and thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Im confused why you would NOT just use the Department Field in the Rooms? Then you can color code and schedule the rooms all together, and everything. The ONLY advantage to Areas over Rooms, is they can have their area values calculated a little more controllably. And that they can do Gross instead of Net SF without setting rooms to centerline. Thats the only benefit.

Edit: Forgot the most important word
            Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; December 4, 2014, 04:16 PM.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
              Create shared parameters for your units and create a unit tag (room tag). Add the new SP to your rooms and set each group of rooms per apartment to a Unit. You can then tag the unit and it isn't a manual update all over the place - update the SP, tags all update. There is a post from a while back that goes into it in more detail, search should pull it up. I'll look as well - I might have it bookmarked.

here she is: http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...ice-rooms.html

Thanks, that works for tagging Unit numbers, but not so much for tagging/showing unit areas and descriptions (ex 2Bed4Person).
              I suppose I could create a shared parameter for each of those bits of data, however I would have to manually fill those fields in hundreds of units.

I will check out the link and see what it says.

Thanks again

Comment

Twiceroadsfool
                Did you miss a word in the at the beginning? "Im confused why you would NOT just use the Department Field in the Rooms?"
                I guess, using Department or the new Unit No. parameter is basically the same thing. Where department is a default parameter and Unit No. would be a custom parameter.

Comment

Yeah, i left a word out. Been a lousy day already.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    Yeah, i left a word out. Been a lousy day already.
                    BUT IS FRI.....oh wait....you suck Thursday.
                    Rob Pivovarnick, AIA
                    Senior Project Architect
                    Michael Graves Architecture and Design
                    LinkedIn Profile | @ Twitter

Comment