Where to store New Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to store New Materials

I've begun creating new materials and simply storing them in a folder in my PC Documents for now. I notice if I move the JPEG to any other folder or location for storage, ie external back up drive, the photo no longer appears on the Appearance tab of the material editor or in the model for that matter. I have to reload it from it's new location.

I think this suggests I need to store them somewhere more permanent. I'm not fond of the idea of going into my C drive if I don't have to. But is that where I need to store them with the Revit default materials?

Thank you for any help!

If you are on a network I would store them there along with the rest of your content. If you do not have a network drive then I would create a folder for your Revit content and keep everything there. Keep that folder separate from the OOTB installs and keep one folder per software year. Something along the lines of:
    C:\Standards\Revit\2015
    C:\Standards\Revit\2014
    C:\Standards\Revit\2013
    etc
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Keep in mind you need to path every user of that model to those images under Additional Render Appearance Paths, or they won't render on other machines. Which means... I'd pick a network location early, so you can put it in your ini file. Also, the ARAP area of the INI doesn't support sub-folders. So you have to list all of them.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I'm not on a network. Just me on one PC. I've never created an INI file, I'll look into that.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by JD003 View Post
          I'm not on a network. Just me on one PC. I've never created an INI file, I'll look into that.

Thanks a lot.
          Then go with something like I outlined above. My additional $0.02 - get a NAS or something similar and keep everything Revit related there. Beats the tar out of having to copy all that crap to a new PC when you upgrade.

chad

Comment

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
            If you are on a network I would store them there along with the rest of your content. If you do not have a network drive then I would create a folder for your Revit content and keep everything there. Keep that folder separate from the OOTB installs and keep one folder per software year. Something along the lines of:
            C:\Standards\Revit\2015
            C:\Standards\Revit\2014
            C:\Standards\Revit\2013
            etc
            Thanks cellophane. Somewhere besides "documents"?

Comment

Sorry, what's a NAS? Nevermind I looked it up. Brilliant idea.

Beating the tar out of something besides ...:banghead: sure does sound appealing.
              Last edited by JD003; November 28, 2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

For a sole proprietor you can also go the route of an external drive, ideally a RAID-1 drive pair, and save a good bit of money. BUT, it's only good for a single machine, so if there is any chance at all you may have a second person working with you soon, might as well go for the NAS now.
                Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I was thinking NAS because if I set one up at home I would use it for all my network storage and would hook up my XBox and whatnot to it as well. :beer:

chad

Comment

But then, if the IRS does an audit, the whole thing can't be a write-off. Yeah, with the prices coming down so much on a NAS, I think I would go that route too. Unless it was a computer in a totally separate office space, and my entire goal was to never have employees. Then I would save a few hundred bucks and spend it on beer, to get through the pain of ADSK shagging me on subscription every @%#$ing year.
                    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment