Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fake" Level Datums?

Good afternoon all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for creating a "fake" level line?

We would like to provide a fake or "dumb" level datum for views such as stair sections (to show datums for stair landings) and window schedule elevations (to show datums for underside of slab), but not create a actual "Revit" level for each of these.

One option is to use a line based detail component, which works ok, except that when the view is cropped the detail component is cropped.

Second option is to use a generic annotation with an instance parameter (for the length), but this method is a bit clunky and requires the user to enter a value in the properties pallet to achieve the correct level line length.

What I really need is a line based generic annotation and my problems would be solved!

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Jj Mac View Post
    Good afternoon all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for creating a "fake" level line?

We would like to provide a fake or "dumb" level datum for views such as stair sections (to show datums for stair landings) and window schedule elevations (to show datums for underside of slab), but not create a actual "Revit" level for each of these.

One option is to use a line based detail component, which works ok, except that when the view is cropped the detail component is cropped.

Second option is to use a generic annotation with an instance parameter (for the length), but this method is a bit clunky and requires the user to enter a value in the properties pallet to achieve the correct level line length.

What I really need is a line based generic annotation and my problems would be solved!

Thanks in advance.
    You can create "levels" in Revit and not have a plan created. In the options bar when creating a level you can uncheck "make plan view" this will just give you the datum. I guess the problem with this solution is all of the extra datums showing up in other views that then have to be turned off manually.

You have to decide which set of problems you want to wrestle with. Generic annotation that don't behave, or extra datums showing up in views.

I personally would take the extra datums showing up. I don't like the idea of "fake" stuff if I can avoid it.
    Last edited by JeffH; June 20, 2011, 08:43 PM.
    Jeff Hanson
    Sr. Subject Matter Expert
    Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

What Jeff said. We always create levels this way for stair landings. We try not to use "fake" or "dumb" anything if we can avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        I guess the problem is all of the extra datums showing up in other view that then have to be turned off manually.
        This is the biggest concern of mine. In addition to that, all of those level "names" show up in the level list when setting extents for walls etc... It makes it very hard to navigate that list.

Comment

Originally posted by renogreen View Post
          What Jeff said. We always create levels this way for stair landings. We try not to use "fake" or "dumb" anything if we can avoid it.
          Even for a 50 storey tower?

Comment

What about a custom spot elevation family? then it´s "fake", but not "dumb"
            Klaus Munkholm
            "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Even for a 50 storey tower?
              Well you didn't mention that to begin with, but yeah, I might even do it then. The time spent hiding those levels is probably not any more than the time spent messing with generic annotations that aren't "live".

Pick your poison.

Actually, in the case of a many storied tower I would probably just run dimension strings from floors to landings in my stair sections and only create actual levels for the stair landings if I needed to for a particular enlarged section.

What about using spot elevations? Would that work for what you are trying to do?
              Last edited by renogreen; June 20, 2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                What about a custom spot elevation family? then it´s "fake", but not "dumb"
                This is exactly what I would recommend as well...

Dumb levels that do not create plans still have the ability to host, and so every time you will go in to change the host level for an element you will have to scroll through all your dummy elevations. Students at my school would add millions of levels all the time and it becomes a really big pain. Using the spots is a really great method...and you can even spot to detail items and lines in live sections and elevations...

Comment

All great suggestions, everyone... I am asking this question more out of doing due diligence on the issue than anything else.

The issues with using real levels without associated plans create too much to manage especially for schedules/filters/worksets etc...

The detail component is ok, but it gets cropped and it has no intelligence – also more to manage. A generic annotation can solve the cropping issue, but not the intelligence issue.

A spot elevation would work really well, accept the particular graphic we require will be hard to achieve. This does seem like the best option, regardless. I just need to get it approved. That’s a whole other story!

Thanks for all the help.

Comment