Duplicate Parameters in project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Parameters in project?

For some reason I keep seeing duplicate parameters appearing in my projects and I have no idea what is causing it... It only seems to happen to the text parameter I use to sort my sheets and i believe files that are upgraded from 2014 but I am not 100% certain about that part. Any ideas what is going on?
    Attached Files
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

update: This occurs after loading a family, although I can't figure out what in the family causes it. So far in testing it seems only families that I have used TPS on seem to create a duplicate - but I can't find it in the family to delete it..

chad

Comment

Figured it out - don't know how to solve it long-term. The extra parameter comes from transferring the PB Organization to a family using TPS. It is creating a duplicate parameter with the same name in the family, when the family is loaded into the project it creates the extra parameter. An extra parameter is added for every family that is loaded into the project that has transferred PB organization.

Create a new file (I used the <none> template)
      Create a project parameter that applies to sheets
      Create a family and TPS from the new project to the family
      Load the family into the project
      Check the sheet properties - the new parameter will be there.

Don't know if it is a bug, working as intended or just a glitch but it is irritating. Deleting the parameters from Project Parameters dialog does work.

2014-11-17_DuplicateParameters_PBOrganization - cellophane's library

chad

Comment

Having fun talking to yourself, Chad?
        I know the feeling.
        Anyway, if you create Shared Parameters using two different SP files, you will (not might, will) get two parameters by the same name that are different.
        The name of the Shared Parameter is only there so humans can read it.
        Revit understands only the GUID
        Here's a clip from my SP file:
        *PARAM GUID NAME DATATYPE DATACATEGORY GROUP VISIBLE DESCRIPTION USERMODIFIABLE
        PARAM 21f37600-0e61-4774-8966-fe0e9f513a36 Mounting Height LENGTH 11 1 1

Revit uses only 21f37600-0e61-4774-8966-fe0e9f513a36
        Since that would confuse us mortals, that number is also linked to "Mounting Height"
        But if two files come from different places, "Mounting Height" would have one GUID in one file, and a different GUID in the other.
        That's what the GU means: Globally Unique

Cheers, bud!
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
          Having fun talking to yourself, Chad?
          I know the feeling.
          Anyway, if you create Shared Parameters using two different SP files, you will (not might, will) get two parameters by the same name that are different.
          The name of the Shared Parameter is only there so humans can read it.
          Revit understands only the GUID
          Here's a clip from my SP file:
          *PARAM GUID NAME DATATYPE DATACATEGORY GROUP VISIBLE DESCRIPTION USERMODIFIABLE
          PARAM 21f37600-0e61-4774-8966-fe0e9f513a36 Mounting Height LENGTH 11 1 1

Revit uses only 21f37600-0e61-4774-8966-fe0e9f513a36
          Since that would confuse us mortals, that number is also linked to "Mounting Height"
          But if two files come from different places, "Mounting Height" would have one GUID in one file, and a different GUID in the other.
          That's what the GU means: Globally Unique

Cheers, bud!
          yep, I've suffered the same fate by copy/ pasting families from one project to another, even though I was sure the shared parameters came from the same file.

might be silly question Chad but why do you need to TPS from project to family?
          There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

The parameter in question is a project parameter, not a shared parameter. If I use a shared parameter (assuming all from one file) it doesn't duplicate in the project. That will be my short-term fix until I can sort out something else.

I'm using TPS to push project settings (linestyles, subcats) into families. I haven't modified my family templates and a lot of that stuff is still in development / flux.

chad

Comment

Is there a way to remove the rogue parameter from families, preferably in bulk?

and fwiw - I logged a support request with Autodesk and there is now a case assigned to is since it shouldn't happen in the way it does. woo?

chad

Comment

Chad,

Did you ever get any resolution on this?
                I've got a similar "appears in sheet list" parameter that's duplicated.
                I can't delete it or schedule it (the "bad" one), so it's useless. I can delete the "good" one. I can add a shared parameter by the same name. I can then also add a project parameter by the same name. I can delete all that stuff I added. I CANNOT get rid of the "bad" one!

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
                Is there a way to remove the rogue parameter from families, preferably in bulk?

and fwiw - I logged a support request with Autodesk and there is now a case assigned to is since it shouldn't happen in the way it does. woo?
                Last edited by jmuratore; May 9, 2016, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Can you rename the bad one?
                  That's usually the first step I take when trying to figure out which is which.
                  Dave Plumb
                  BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

I can't do anything with the "bad" one, including rename.
                    I can delete all the others, so I know which one it is: it still shows in the properties palette. But it doesn't show up in the project parameters pop-up, and I cannot schedule it in the sheets list (parameter of the sheets category only). So, it's as if it didn't exist, except for in the properties palette.

Comment