Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List an opening space only in the finish schedule without listing imaginary rooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List an opening space only in the finish schedule without listing imaginary rooms

Based on client's program, we need to use rooms separation lines to create multi imaginary rooms in an open space. We need these rooms w/ area for a comparison with program area presenting to the client, but in the finish schedule we would like to list the open space only (not bunch of imaginary rooms within the space for area calculation's purpose.) How I can achieve this?

I was thinking to create another redundant room presenting opening space and make it showing up in the finish schedule, while filter out those imaginary rooms. I am not sure if doing this will cause problems somewhere else, though.

Thanks,

You will lose the ability to schedule the area of some of the rooms, if you do that.

Look in to Rooms versus Areas. Sounds like for the clients Programming, you should use an Area Plan.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

This is a frequent request.
      'twould be nice to have another schedulable "category" like Department, though. Kind of half-way between a Room and an Area Plan.
      Or, going the opposite direction, maybe a "Sub-Room"

rabbit; you might be able to fake something by getting clever with some parameter, Grouping and not Itemizing All Instances, but - Like Aaron says, you'll probably lose other functionality that you need to include.
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Link your model to a fresh file, from the type properties of link make it room bounding and put the imaginary rooms in this file?
        http://www.redhotbim.com
        http://www.revitkutuphanesi.com (in Turkish)

Comment

Thank all you guys for the helps!

It seems like the imaginary rooms would work but I have to watch out what function I may lose. I am going to try area plan see how it would help.

Comment

Not sure if I understand you right, but i'll give it a try. thanks!
            Originally posted by m.p.diker View Post
            Link your model to a fresh file, from the type properties of link make it room bounding and put the imaginary rooms in this file?

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitcookies View Post
              Not sure if I understand you right, but i'll give it a try. thanks!
              You can asign new rooms using a linked Revit Model (even it has rooms) in a host Revit file. When Revit is looking for redundancy it doesn't care about the rooms in the linked file.

And if you'll like to schedule both (real & imaginary) you can always check the "Include elements in the linked file" in your room schedule.
              http://www.redhotbim.com
              http://www.revitkutuphanesi.com (in Turkish)

Comment

I see. Thank for explaination!

Originally posted by m.p.diker View Post
                You can asign new rooms using a linked Revit Model (even it has rooms) in a host Revit file. When Revit is looking for redundancy it doesn't care about the rooms in the linked file.

And if you'll like to schedule both (real & imaginary) you can always check the "Include elements in the linked file" in your room schedule.

Comment

Okay, that's how I solve this.
                  I found out that the area data is just used for a separate design report and the room schedule never be placed on any sheet. As you guys suggested I created a area plan to obtain workstation areas and deleted all the imaginary rooms for all workstations on the floor plan, replaced them with a single room for the whole open space. By doing that, I have area data for the workstations for the report's purpose, and only "open office" shows up in the finish schedule which will be place on one of my sheets.

Thanks for your help!

Comment