Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workset crash

Hi All,

I am doing some tests to get my head around using worksets. I have run into a problem where revit will consistently crash when selecting the Workset Button.

Work Flow thus far:
    • Create a project central file - held in a separate folder. This project has, at the time of creation simply some grids and levels. Two worksets are created.
    • In widows explorer I have copied this file to a separate folder.
    • Open the file in the local folder - file becomes a local version
    • Add some walls and save to central - central file shows new walls as expected
    • In the local file click workset button to change the current workset to editable - runtime error - total crash of revit
    • Open central file click workset button - same result - total crash of revit

Any clues as to where I have gone wrong or have others seem similar crashes?

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

Originally posted by Ian.Kidston View Post
    Hi All,

I am doing some tests to get my head around using worksets. I have run into a problem where revit will consistently crash when selecting the Workset Button.

Work Flow thus far:
    • Create a project central file - held in a separate folder. This project has, at the time of creation simply some grids and levels. Two worksets are created.
    • In widows explorer I have copied this file to a separate folder.
    • Open the file in the local folder - file becomes a local version
    • Add some walls and save to central - central file shows new walls as expected
    • In the local file click workset button to change the current workset to editable - runtime error - total crash of revit
    • Open central file click workset button - same result - total crash of revit

Any clues as to where I have gone wrong or have others seem similar crashes?

Cheers
    why are you copying the central file to a different location to make a local? The normal method is to use Open from Revit and select the central file and make sure that the Create Local option is checked. I don't know if that is what is causing your problem but you might try creating a local in the normal manner
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
      why are you copying the central file to a different location to make a local? The normal method is to use Open from Revit and select the central file and make sure that the Create Local option is checked. I don't know if that is what is causing your problem but you might try creating a local in the normal manner
      He shouldnt HAVE to manually make a local, but it should work regardless. I would try it on another computer, to see if you can isolate hardware, software, or network infrastructure as the cause. That method should work fine.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
        Hi Dave,

The "why" this way...Watching an older tutorial video (circa revit 2009) on creating worksets and this was the methodology of that presenter. In any event, the crash occurs regardless of how I open the file. I will however re do it and not copy the file in the first instance and see if creating the first local file the correct way changes anything.

Cheers,
        Ian Kidston

Comment

The Create New Local button wasnt there til 2010. Worksets work fine, we use them all of the time. And we use CNL, but sometimes i do it the old way as well, and it doesnt cause a crash. Something else must be up.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            He shouldnt HAVE to manually make a local, but it should work regardless. I would try it on another computer, to see if you can isolate hardware, software, or network infrastructure as the cause. That method should work fine.
            Thanks Aaron,

Will try again on the other box.

Re network issues: for the test, both the central and local files are on the same computer, but in different folders. I wouldn't imagine this would cause any issues?
            Ian Kidston

Comment

It shouldnt, so im guessing its the machine. I work on centrals that are on my desktop, with locals that are on my C drive as well.

Comment

Back to this one after a few days working on a tribunal case (didn't get finished on the day, back again next Friday!!!)

Tried on second computer - double checked work flow and cannot see any problems - tried with my template and the OOTB template, all failed with exactly the same error.

I will fire of a support request and see what light the factory can shed.

Cheers,
                Ian Kidston

Comment

Ian, I'm confused: does the second pc also crash? Does it have the same configuration?
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                    Ian, I'm confused: does the second pc also crash? Does it have the same configuration?
                    No, completely different configuration - hence the SR to Adesk.

In case there was something wrong with the original test - created on the first computer, I created two new files, one with my standard template and one with an OOTB template just in case there was something screwy with my template. Both crashed as described with exactly the same run time error.

Cheers,
                    Ian Kidston

Comment