Dimensions in Attached Detail Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimensions in Attached Detail Groups

I know that, in order to keep dimensions in attached detail groups working, you need to dimension to elements that are in the group and not Levels/Grids/etc. that lay outside the group. I am doing this (or at least I think I am) but when I place a new instance of the model group and attach the detail group I get an "Elements were deleted" error and some of my dimensions (though not all) don't come through. Some just get deleted, others are exclude and can be brought back but, as far as I can tell, all dimensions are to elements in the model group.

If you load this file as a group and create a plan, front elevation, and section view to attached detail groups you'll see what I'm struggling with. The plan works fine, the elevation shows some dimensions (but none of the vertical), and the section seems to have excluded all of the dimensions (but I can't get them back).

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Did you dimension to the level or to something in the group?

edit - nevermind. I tried adjusting the dimension and it didn't help.
    Last edited by cellophane; October 21, 2014, 07:42 PM.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Unless I'm missing something all dimensions are to group instances. I was pretty careful when dimensioning to make sure I as selecting references of families in the group - not shapes, and not levels (though I could have been grabbing the level in the family maybe?).
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

I tried it with a named RP instead of the level and had the same error. You've got me

I'm assuming you've read the class Aaron did on groups recently?
        or AB5432 (groups & links) from AU?

edit - the RP does work, I must have gotten my save/reload screwed up. However I ran into the same problem you did when I dimensioned to the bottom of the sink / clearance space.
        Last edited by cellophane; October 21, 2014, 07:55 PM.

chad

Comment

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
          I'm assuming you've read the class Aaron did on groups recently?
          or AB5432 (groups & links) from AU?.
          Yes, just now. Helpful in terms of managing rotation and mirroring of groups but not what I'm trying to do here.

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
          edit - the RP does work, I must have gotten my save/reload screwed up. However I ran into the same problem you did when I dimensioned to the bottom of the sink / clearance space.
          "Named" or "Is Reference"? Or both?

Can you share the file you got to work so I can see what you did? I thought I had this figured out (after much trial and error) but, just as I was finishing a test Revit crashed and, of course, I hadn't saved.
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

I think I've narrowed it down to the line-based generic model counter. If I replace the line-based version with a straight generic model version all of my dimensions work as anticipated.

This is somehow familiar... I seem to recall an issue with line-based families and groups but I wasn't really paying attention since I had not started trying to figure groups out.

I am hoping that there's a workaround for this as I've got quite a bit of content that is line based (I really like being able to extend/trim/split them). I thought it might be the reference line in the line-based family causing the issue (and it still might be) but setting it's Is Reference to None and/or turning its visibility off didn't make things better.
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
              "Named" or "Is Reference"? Or both?

Can you share the file you got to work so I can see what you did? I thought I had this figured out (after much trial and error) but, just as I was finishing a test Revit crashed and, of course, I hadn't saved.
              I happen to have a save of it because I kept getting the weird save-as bug and couldn't not-save the file...

the RP was in your file when I brought it - it isn't named in this version.
              Attached Files

chad

Comment