complex stair modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

complex stair modeling

We have created a winding stair that on the outside perimeter is rectangular, and on the inside is ovular.
    The underside of the stair will be a gypsum board soffit, what is the is best way to model the underside of the stair?

It will be winding and curving in two directions. As Revit 2012 loads up the image which shows up appears to do similar geometric moves as what we want the stair to do.

What´s ovular? Would be helpful if you could provide a sketch of the stair?
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
      What´s ovular? Would be helpful if you could provide a sketch of the stair?
      Yes, that was very a strange word in this context. Maybe he meant to say in the shape of an egg, like an ellipse?
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
        Yes, that was very a strange word in this context. Maybe he meant to say in the shape of an egg, like an ellipse?
        What, you don't like my Bushism?

See below for image:
        Attached Files

Comment

If you want a curvy surface on the underside of the stairs, check the stairs' type properties: set "Monolithic stairs" to "Yes", and "Underside of winder" to "Smooth". If you still see some straight edges on the surface, increase the value of "Stringer carriage height".

Comment

Yes, but we also want stringers to show up.

I was hoping there is a way to model a gypsum board ceiling so that it would conform its geometry to the underside of the stringer. We want the edge of the stringer to drop down below the gypsum board ceiling 1".

Comment

Also, why do stairs in Revit suck so much?

The treads/risers don't join together in section, so if I want to create a cut line I have to draw it manually. Why won't Revit won't even let you snap a detail line to a stair tread/riser?!?

Comment

Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
                Yes, but we also want stringers to show up.

I was hoping there is a way to model a gypsum board ceiling so that it would conform its geometry to the underside of the stringer. We want the edge of the stringer to drop down below the gypsum board ceiling 1".
                Then, you need to do the stringers as railings, as explained in this post by Mark B.

Comment

So I model the stair as monolithic so that I can get the ceiling, then model the stringer as a railing?

Comment

Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
                    So I model the stair as monolithic so that I can get the ceiling, then model the stringer as a railing?
                    Yup. Because in order to activate "Underside of winder" to get a smooth curvy ceiling, you need to activate "Monolithic", but if you activate "Monolithic", you can't use stringers.

Comment