Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

visiblity graphic view? filters?

hello all,

first off i am totally new to revit and i have been reading alot about it and came across a question that i just cant seem to find anywhere. i was watching a video on adding plumbing pipe to a drawing on a house and the video cut to the 3D view and then it was changed to have everything but the plumbing fixtures show on the drawing. (this was never explained on what or how this was done)

is there someone that would be able to explain to me how i would take a drawing of a house and "hide" everything but the plumbing to make adding the pipping a little easier?

thank you all for any and all help

visiblity graphic view? filters?
    hello all,

first off i am totally new to revit and i have been reading alot about it and came across a question that i just cant seem to find anywhere. i was watching a video on adding plumbing pipe to a drawing on a house and the video cut to the 3D view and then it was changed to have everything but the plumbing fixtures show on the drawing. (this was never explained on what or how this was done)

is there someone that would be able to explain to me how i would take a drawing of a house and "hide" everything but the plumbing to make adding the pipping a little easier?

thank you all for any and all help

Comment

Welcome to the Forum and Revit!

Set up a View Template, and apply it to the View.

In Visibility/Graphics, under Model Categories, turn off all except plumbing fixtures and piping.

Then under View Tab, View Templates, select Create View Template from View.

There are other ways to do it, such as Filters, or Hiding Elements--but if you need the Plumbing only view in 3D often, the View Template is a good solution.
      Cliff B. Collins
      Registered Architect
      The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
      Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Type VV, you will get visibility graphic overrides where check mark means that category is visible, unchecked – not visible (not deleted, just not visible).

Create a new view, type VV and uncheck everything but plumbing fixtures and pipes, or keep everything visible and apply transparency to every category but plumbing. It might work even better for you. You can create a view template, so it always handy and can be applied to the other views of the same type.
        You’re not using any links, are you?

EDIT: Double post? http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...w-filters.html
        Last edited by PijPiwo; September 10, 2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

thank you for this information.

so it sounds like this is something that you are going to have to do some set up for? it looked like in the video that i was watching it looked like they went into the VG tab and then went to the tab on the far right side (i think it is filters) and then clicked that off and it just happened.

am i able to set up filters to where i would be able to just click that filter and have it show things like just the plumbing or electrical, flooring ETC?

all the reading that i have done on filters just has gone over setting up filters to change color coding for different properties in the drawing. and if this is how you would do it, any suggestions on a video that i would be able to watch on how to set up these kind of filters?

thank you again for the help (i think that i found a new place of learning revit)

Comment

not sure that i am understanding what you mean by using any links?

and when setting up a new view, is that like setting up a new filter? or is that something totally different?

i know that this program can do pretty much everything, i would love it to be where i would be able to have something set up to just view the plumbing pipe and fixtures that need it. and also one that would look at all the electrical.

also only been working with cad since last saturday. so when i say that i am new i really mean that i am new

Comment

Originally posted by davezinger View Post
              not sure that i am understanding what you mean by using any links?

and when setting up a new view, is that like setting up a new filter? or is that something totally different?

i know that this program can do pretty much everything, i would love it to be where i would be able to have something set up to just view the plumbing pipe and fixtures that need it. and also one that would look at all the electrical.

also only been working with cad since last saturday. so when i say that i am new i really mean that i am new
              Link is any external file that is linked with your model. It could be an HVAC or a structural model linked (inserted into) with the architectural model (or vice versa) so the entire building and all its components can be viewed in one file.

There are a few ways to create a view. New 3D view can be created by right clicking on the existing view name {3D} in the project browser and duplicating it.

Screencast shows OOTB (Out Of The Box) mep file with an hvac example. Similarly you can do it with piping.

Comment

oh thank you for this information.

this has been a big help.

Comment

Since you're new to Revit, I'd recommend starting with Object Styles. That's where you set your basic Line Weights for all things REvit.
                  Next move on to the Visibility/Graphics tab for each View you need.
                  Once you're comfortable with how V/G works, try creating some View Templates and applying those to Views.
                  Finally, once you're really feeling like you know what you're doing, create a few Filters and apply those the either View or View Templates.

Filters are extremely powerful, but they can be a little intimidating. Especially if you're not familiar with how the rest of Revit works.
                  Dave Plumb
                  BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment