Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network license good for 3 versions of Revit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network license good for 3 versions of Revit?

Hi all,

I am not sure where to look up this info and where to post it so I guess I will start here.

We just converted 3 seats of standard alone license to network license for our office and it says it is for 2015 (of course). I understand the license allows you to run Revit for 3 versions (which means 2015,2014 and 2013). Since we haven't rolled out 2015, most of our projects are in 2014 and some are in 2012 for CA. How does that work now with these 3 licenses? Would it limit us to pull licenses for 2012 version?

If anyone has dealt with this issue, I'd like to hear from you.
    Thanks

Philip
    Philip Chan
    Practice Technology Manager | HKS
    http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

The license covers the current version PLUS three previous versions. 2012 is covered...for now...

"Previous Version support is an exclusive benefit to Subscription customers that allows you to run the current version of an Autodesk product plus the three previous versions of that same product."
    Understanding Previous Version support for Autodesk Point products | AutoCAD | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Comment

I think it depends on when you get your license files relative to when the software is released. When I look in the package sections of my license file for Revit Architecture, I see entries for RAC 2012 - RAC 2015. The license file I had before that started at RAC 2011. So I think the licensing works for three prior versions, excluding the current release for you license file.

Comment

Clay,

Thanks for the link. It explains my situation.
        Although I don't quite understand why it is under AutoCAD support page but this question represents all the Autodesk products... :crazy:
        Philip Chan

Comment

I also found this link through the subscription page:
          Autodesk Subscription Use of Previous Version FAQ | Search | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Maybe more than anyone wants to know about this topic...

Comment

Jsnyder,

Thanks! I would have to say Autodesk site has some good use for questions like this. :thumbsup:
            Philip Chan

Comment

One thing to be mindful with a network license is for each year version you have open, they will take 1 license each.

Let's say all your families are in Revit 2013 and you have that open working on some families, than you open 2014 while 2013 is open. You have now just tied up 2 licenses. We run into this very issue almost daily. The standalone license let the user have the current edition and 3 previous editions open utilizing the same license. If you have a suite, the same thing applies to all the programs included in that suite. If you change years, you utilize a new license.
              Jason Peckovitch
              Father | Photographer | Car/Tech Guy
              Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
              That BIM Guy Blog | Google+

Comment

You said it, Jason!
                That applies across the Suite as well. If you use Revit 2014 and (gasp) AutoCAD 2014, that's one license.
                But if you use Revit 2015 and AutoCAD 2014, that's two licenses.
                That trips us up every year about this time while we're in the process of upgrading.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                  You said it, Jason!
                  That applies across the Suite as well. If you use Revit 2014 and (gasp) AutoCAD 2014, that's one license.
                  But if you use Revit 2015 and AutoCAD 2014, that's two licenses.
                  That trips us up every year about this time while we're in the process of upgrading.
                  I F'n hate it! I can typically utilize 2-3 licenses any given day because of this as I may be model prepping in 3 different projects (latest 3 versions) and working on families (2013) at the same time.
                  Jason Peckovitch
                  Father | Photographer | Car/Tech Guy
                  Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
                  That BIM Guy Blog | Google+

Comment

This is why we very meticulously remove all old versions of everything EXCEPT Revit. So once we push 2015, its not possible for someone to launch ACA 2014.
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment