In Place Sweep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
    I thought of that, but I used the pick line tool. I looked for a way to flip them, then abandoned the idea. I'll test it, though, and actually draw the lines.

I'm not sure i understand or if this helps but it should negate the need to worry about the direction of drawing...When i do fascias i get a flip control (the same little double arrow used in doors/windows/railings). If you need to control the 'flip' of individual lengths of fascia, [esc] out of the fascia tool between each 'pick line' (then go back in if desired). You can then control the flip of each segment one at a time.
    multiple-pick fascias (created in one picking session) will have their flip controls way out in the centre of the loop somewhere and ALL sections will flip together.

edit : the more i play with this method of model lines/fascia tool the more inspired i get. Move either end point of the model line (with a fascia/cornice/whatever attached) and you can position it to anywhere you like. Like my very own in-place, line based model big thanks for an awesome thread guys! :bb: :beer: :beer: :beer:
    Last edited by elton williams; June 4, 2011, 12:04 AM.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Dan, I don't know if the attachment is what you're looking for... But if it is, here's the workflow:

1. Delete the In Place Sweep (sorry...)
      2. Draw Model Lines. Pick Lines didn't cut it for me. Drawing the did. It takes some more time, but the end result seems more then ok.
      2.a. Start drawing ML's, in the Option Bar fold out the Workplane drop-down and select Pick... (Workplane that is). In the 3d view, select the first exterior wall face (thumbnail 1-3)
      2.b. Draw the line (btw, it helps if you check off chain). Then select Pick workplane again, pick plane and select the second exterior wall face (this is when unchecking the chain-option comes in handy. If you leave it on, you'll need to hit esc once because the Pick Workplane dropdown stayes greyed out). See thumbnail 4
      2.c. keep repeating step 2 until you're done.
      3. Roof Fascia, start picking the Model Lines. You'll notice that the short ends of the columns gives you a "Can't create Fascia" error (thumbnail 5). Work around: select the long pieces on both sides first (thumbnail 6), then select the short lines and it will work fine (thumbnail7).

I posted the project file and some screen shots.

BTW: the flipping of the fascia when using pick lines is probably due to the automatic orientation of picked lines. There probably is one of two scenarios going on:

1. You started the pick line command facing the Exterior side of the wall but used pick line when facing the back of the wall on one segment.
      2. You started the fascia / sweep looking at the exterior side of the Wall but used PL looking from the interior side on one segment.

The PL (for the model lines, as well as the fascia/sweep) is relative to orientation. If you use it looking at the exterior of a wall at one point, then you'll need to keep doing this for the remainder of the fascia/sweep.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mdradvies; June 4, 2011, 02:36 PM.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Ahh, interesting stuff Martijn. I think you are correct with the pick line orientation. I was "looking" at the front of the building when I did the lines. Therefore, the rear of the building would want to make the fascia face the front. If that makes sense.

I'm going to give your method a shot today. Even though I got it working, I still want it to be one component. Not sure why, it just seams cleaner that way. :laugh:

Elton: That's a great tip. I didn't know you could flip each segment. That may be easier than redoing all of my model lines at this point. I'll play around with that as well.

Good stuff guys! :thumbsup:
        Last edited by dzatto; June 6, 2011, 02:55 PM.
        Dan

Comment

Both worked. I wound up going with Martijn's process. Once you get used to using work planes, it wasn't so bad.

There were a few sections that would give me errors. I had to redraw them a few times, and it gave me a headache. But, I got it to work.
          I'm still getting used to the power of using work planes. It will get easier, I'm sure.
          Dan

Comment

Where did you get errors? It's kind of a quirky method actually. It will consequently give errors when you try to go around the brick columns (on the short ends). But if you do the Wall, piece of column aligned to the Wall and THEN the short piece in between it sticks...:crazy:

Weird, but play by that rule and it's a very easy workflow (once you start using the workplanes that is).
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

The errors were apparantly because the lines weren't on the same plane. They wouldn't trim. I guess I got a little slopply in that area. I deleted them and did that section over, and it worked fine.

I knew about the "select the walls, then the short section" trick already. I stumbled upon it when I was trying to do this the first time. :laugh:
              Dan

Comment