Landing Height Adjustment - Top Rail Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landing Height Adjustment - Top Rail Only

Hi, i'm in 2013. I'm modelling a railing which is 1100mm high along the flight and 900mm from the landing. So I've set the Landing Height Adjustment parameter to be -200 which positions the top of the handrail fine.

Only problem is that this handrail has a guarding to it which has a bottom rail. When I use the landing adjustment, it also offsets this bottom rail which rather attractively disappears into the landing. Along the flight, the whole railing is behaving perfectly, it's just when it gets to the landing that the height adjustment feature seems to be flawed. Unless of course I am missing something?

Does anybody know if there is a way to stop this bottom rail offsetting? Or is there an alternative way of achieving the 200mm difference between landing/flight height so I can avoid this problem all together?

Railings often need to be broken down as there is unlikely to be a one size fits all. I create separate railings and try to manage the junction/transition with a bit of trickery. You can export the isolated railings as dwg and then import the dwg into a family. There, you can create transitional pieces. Up to you if they are intelligent or not, requires a bit of trig. You will need transitional pieces for different conditions still. Another quick cheat is to create two railing types, one with bottom rail and one for handrail with balusters overlapping in each to make up the difference. Can be quick and easy or can end up even more messing about. I would keep railings indicative until late stages when the design has settled. Then I model the specifics

Sent from my Windows Phone
    `Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for'
    Socrates

Comment

BTW AU had a nice railing presentation and Aaron Maller does some nice things, think there was something on RTCNA site

Sent from my Windows Phone
      `Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for'
      Socrates

Comment

A second railing type for the landing would probably be easiest. Duplicate your railing, adjust the top rail and place the new railing on the landing.
        Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
        BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment