Creating Parts from Roofs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Parts from Roofs

I've looked all over the internets to see if someone else had discovered this workaround, but I haven't found anything except that Revit can't create parts from roofs with ridgelines. Please tell me if I'm late to the party, but I've been able to create parts from roofs by using single layer roofs even with multiple ridgelines.

This method is very similar to the multi-layer wall approach in which each layer is a different type. This presents some minor problems with cutting openings and joining the original since each layer requires a new opening sketch or roof join. But IMO being able to use parts on complex roofs is well worth the trouble. For fascias and such I apply the fascia to the original host roof layer, adding splits where necessary. You can place model lines on the new parts to continue the fascia. The beauty of this method is that you can carve up a roof as much as you want and not affect roof joins or other picky roof things.

BTW, what is the general consensus for using the multi-layer approach in Revit? A lot of my work ends up being used for animations in addition to CD's, so I find it enhances both. Thoughts?