Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFC Replace

Hi!

We just started to use the RevitMep2014 and our main problem is that the architect company gives us the plans in IFC format, and it works properly until we get a new IFC and I don't know how to replace or update the IFC in the revit project. Anyone could help me with a solution? I do not want to use the revit link solution because then the revit doesn't recognize the walls or etc...

Many, many thanks

If you opened the IFC in Revit and then started working in it, you'll have trouble.

You need to use a Revit Link, or use 2015 and Link the IFC. Either way, you have some big changes to make now. :-/
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
      If you opened the IFC in Revit and then started working in it, you'll have trouble.

You need to use a Revit Link, or use 2015 and Link the IFC. Either way, you have some big changes to make now. :-/
      Will 2015 link an ifc model without the need for conversion into an .rvt?
      Bettisworth North

Comment

There is an IFC Link feature, but its probably still doing the same conversion behind the scenes, would be my guess.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          There is an IFC Link feature, but its probably still doing the same conversion behind the scenes, would be my guess.
          We are very lucky up here that 99% of A&E firms utilize Revit or autocad files. In my view, BIM is suppose to make this job more precise,...if you throw ifc into the mix, it just puts another level of complexity that is not nessassary.
          Bettisworth North

Comment

You dont get a choice if all of the consultants done use the same platform. And some projects mandate certain consultants. Ive only been forced to use IFC on a handful of projects, but its a way bigger issue overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Karl View Post
              if you throw ifc into the mix, it just puts another level of complexity that is not nessassary.
              That's certainly one way of looking at it.

But

On the other hand, .ifc, much touted as the "Rosetta Stone for BIM" is well set, (at least, as Aaron infers, over this side of the pond) to be the cross-platform-enabler - and it's well worth the headache investigating the workflow options (of using them, within Revit) to be better prepared for "that time" when not all consultants are in the Autodesk camp.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                and it's well worth the headache investigating the workflow options (of using them, within Revit) to be better prepared for "that time" when not all consultants are in the Autodesk camp.
                I do agree with this,...I have to deal with ifc as a deliverable from an older project that was developed in Archicad. The export from Archicad to ifc vs Revit will produce different results using similar tools in each. A 'complex profile' in Archicad does not export cleanly to ifc but in Revit the 'stacked wall' does export cleanly.

Just a question, and once again, I am asking because I don't know the correct answer,....should the cosultant recieving the ifc deal with the additional work required to link it, or should the ifc file be converted to an .rvt file before sharing with a Revit based firm.
                Bettisworth North

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Karl View Post
                  I do agree with this,...I have to deal with ifc as a deliverable from an older project that was developed in Archicad. The export from Archicad to ifc vs Revit will produce different results using similar tools in each. A 'complex profile' in Archicad does not export cleanly to ifc but in Revit the 'stacked wall' does export cleanly.

Just a question, and once again, I am asking because I don't know the correct answer,....should the cosultant recieving the ifc deal with the additional work required to link it, or should the ifc file be converted to an .rvt file before sharing with a Revit based firm.
                  You should convert it. You are being provided with a source of information. You need it in your software. Your job.

Yet to play with the IFC link myself yet, but if it does what it says on the tin, then great. Takes the manual import process out

Mandating a single platform on projects is a dangerous and slippery slope to start on. You've already got a load of people complaining about the lack of new features in 2015. You take the competition out of software where's the incentive for software vendors to add new features year in year out.

Comment

Originally posted by bjohn View Post
                    You should convert it. You are being provided with a source of information. You need it in your software. Your job.
                    Not. A. Single. Chance.

!!!!

(IMHO)

No one, ever, should need, "have" or edit any received file.

End of.

The translation/conversion/adaptation/reconfiguration/manipulation should always be the originators responsibility.

Comment