Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAC 2012: Contour labels (STILL) upside down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAC 2012: Contour labels (STILL) upside down?

Don't remember when this became a bug, but it's still there in 2012, unless someone has a nifty trick I would love to know!
    Doesn't matter if the view is Project North or True North, which way the label was drawn, or anything else I can find to change. Right read is correct, but a contour running "north-south" has inverted numbers.

Gordon
    Attached Files
    Pragmatic Praxis

I think it's always been that way, and I don't think the Factory considers it a "bug". It seems to be somewhat of a survey graphics standard convention.

It would be nice if there was at least an option to change it.

Comment

Yes, the contour labels are oriented as if the viewer was seeing the site always with the lower portion of the site on the South of the page and the higher portions of the site on the North of the page. The only way in Revit to "fix" those contour labels is to rotate the crop region of that view 180 degrees, if you can live with that. It does not affect your true north or project north, just the orientation of that view.
      Last edited by Alfredo Medina; May 25, 2011, 11:12 PM. Reason: edited paragraph, for more clarity.
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Wow, I can't ever remember getting a drawing from a Civil Engineer with the contour labels upside down. Some do it bottom read/right read, others do it low elevation to high. But always upside down? Never seen it. Not to mention; Architectural Graphic Standards, 10th Ed, page 83. NOT upside down.

But I shan't be bothering with a bug report I guess.

Alf, in my case true north is up. Which makes me think I should be seeing things right side up. Am I missing something? Wait, you are saying lower as in elevation, not lower as in bottom of the sheet? That makes a little more sense, and I just happened to have a couple of "low in the north" sites I tested on. Fun. Still think the ability to configure right read/bottom read would be good.

Thanks for the heads up,
        Gordon
        Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
          Wow, I can't ever remember getting a drawing from a Civil Engineer with the contour labels upside down.
          I thought the same thing... so I went and pulled out surveys from our archives... every single one of them (from several different surveyors) that had grades ascending north to south, had the topo elevation text upside down. I was like, how did I never notice that before?
          Last edited by iru69; May 25, 2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think this is one where, yeah the CEs do it that way, but no way in hell is that going to pass muster on an Architectural drawing. And Revit has just punted and used the CE approach as the only approach. I am ALL for reusing each other's work, but damnit there needs to be an ability to reuse people's work in a way that actually works for us!

Gordon
            Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
              ...but no way in hell is that going to pass muster on an Architectural drawing.
              Yeah, that's the problem - we're putting together an architectural design presentation, and it just looks bad.

Comment

I never noticed it either, but now that I think about it, I believe it is a good idea to have the numbers read this way. It helps me better understand which way is up. Actually, now that I know this, it FORCES me to understand which way is up. I likey. :thumbsup:

Comment

And for a working view I can agree, even if "up" is just bigger numbers in my head. But for a presentation drawing, where if nothing else the shadows are telling you a lot about the topo, and the labels are just a reference, they need to be controllable, such that I can put them anywhere, and still make them readable, even if a little less informative. Imagine if you saw those upside down numbers on a drawing in a museum, or published in a book or magazine, or on a competition entry? They would look stupid. There are uses for the CEs work that are not construction documents. Revit should be able to handle this. Some of what Revit does now is amazing for design & presentation work. I just want to see more effort there.

Gordon
                  Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I completely agree with you, Gordon. I was just excited that I learned something new!

Comment