Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob Question: Why is Tile Wall Grabbing CL of Partition Wall When Turning Corner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob Question: Why is Tile Wall Grabbing CL of Partition Wall When Turning Corner?

Hello All!

Well, I thought I may be running out of newbie questions, but apparently I still have quite a few.

When I am adding a tile wall to a partition wall, I cannot get the tile wall to make a proper turn at a corner. I can lay out the partition walls well enough. But, when I add the tile wall, the wall jumps to the center line of the partition wall. Please see the attached image. When I layout the tile wall, I have location set to "Finish Face: Interior". I have tried many other settings, but I get the same result.

I have been struggling with laying tile walls on interior partition walls. I used work-around to get through the model, but I would really like to understand what is happening.

Thank you very much!

Kate---
    Attached Files

Instead of placing them as Lines try using Pick Lines.
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Use Tab key to select the wall face when placing.
      Cliff B. Collins
      Registered Architect
      The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
      Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Wow! Using "Pick Lines" worked very well. I never paid much attention to the wall layout options in the ribbon, but I will now!

Thanks again!

Kate---

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
          Use Tab key to select the wall face when placing.
          Hi Cliff,

I am confizzled about how to use the Tab Key. Do I use the Tab Key just before I place the tile wall? I keep loosing my selection. :-\

Thank you!

Kate---

Comment

In the Revit class that I teach, I tell the newbies to move the mouse over the element they want to select, then take their hands of the mouse, then use the Tab Key. Once you've got the element highlighted, then very carefully, press the mouse button.

What's happening to you is that you get the mouse where you want it, and then, in the process of pressing TAb, you move the mousr a little bit. That's what loses the focus.
            Once you get used to the dance of the Tab, you can start leaving you hand on the mouse.
            Then wait until you try to use the Tab and the Ctrl together!
            Dave Plumb
            BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thank you! That tip really helped. I think I was losing focus, because some time I could get the select to work, but most of the time i was unsuccessful.

I am hoping to be able to take Revit classes thie Spring. I think it will really help me get out of the "noob" rut. (That and a few hundred hours on the keyboard).

Thanks again,

Kate---

Comment

Originally posted by colokate View Post
                I am hoping to be able to take Revit classes thie Spring.
                Good idea, but d be a long drive to St Paul every Tuesday and Thursday for you.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                  In the Revit class that I teach, I tell the newbies to move the mouse over the element they want to select, then take their hands of the mouse, then use the Tab Key. Once you've got the element highlighted, then very carefully, press the mouse button.

What's happening to you is that you get the mouse where you want it, and then, in the process of pressing TAb, you move the mousr a little bit. That's what loses the focus.
                  Once you get used to the dance of the Tab, you can start leaving you hand on the mouse.
                  Then wait until you try to use the Tab and the Ctrl together!
                  When you TAB through items the status bar will indicate what you are tabbing to in the bottom left corner. VERY helpful if you have multiple objects in very close proximity. You will also see a highlight of the object, which in the video is easy to see since they are perpendicular but might not be if you are trying to select a wall sweep from a plan view.

2014-03-17_1051 - cellophane's library
                  Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                  BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

What I do with tile walls is draw them offset from the wall first then use the align tool....because even using the pick line sometimes the wall likes to intersect inside the perpendicular wall. That way I can use draw and chain them and then align and join..
                    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment