Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curtain Wall inserts into walls as windows - finish returns

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Curtain Wall inserts into walls as windows - finish returns

    This is probably a hopeless question but if you don't ask etc. ...

    On the occasions I use Curtain Walls as windows inserted into external walls the wall finishes never return into the opening reveals as they can do with family inserts such as windows and doors.

    Is there any way to enable this ability for Curtain Walls used in this way would anyone know?
    William Sutherland rias riba
    WS Architecture Ltd

    #2
    Nope, not possible...
    There has been a similar thread recently, but I can't seem to find it.

    EDIT: here it is
    Last edited by mdradvies; May 22, 2011, 02:06 PM.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

    Comment


      #3
      Nope, no way to do this - Besides creating and inserting a "empty window family" to create the opening and the returns before you insert the CW.
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

      Comment


        #4
        Oops, must have missed that.

        Thanks anyway - and on a Sunday too...
        Last edited by willsud; May 22, 2011, 02:32 PM. Reason: Irrelevance
        William Sutherland rias riba
        WS Architecture Ltd

        Comment


          #5
          Well, now you know how we get our post count...
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by willsud View Post
            This is probably a hopeless question but if you don't ask etc. ...

            On the occasions I use Curtain Walls as windows inserted into external walls the wall finishes never return into the opening reveals as they can do with family inserts such as windows and doors.

            Is there any way to enable this ability for Curtain Walls used in this way would anyone know?
            I don't work at all with walls other than curtain walls but isn't there a way to create an opening in a wall and have all of your wraps as you want them creating a hole in the wall for a window? IOW don't use the curtain wall to create the opening? If you can do that just create your window out of curtain wall separately without using the Automatically Embed option and just put the window in the opening...just a thought
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

            Comment


              #7
              Dave is correct. Don't use the curtain walls to create the wall opening. Instead use a wall opening or opening family to create the opening and make the finishes return. Curtain walls don't have a host technically so having the opening already there isn't going to affect the curtain wall.

              Of course, the completely obliterates the reasons you'd use curtain walls as a window, and would mean updating 2 objects every time you need to move or resize said "window." I would suggest reviewing your curtain walls that you've used in the past. I would guess that they are fairly simple and/or similar mullion patterns and could easily be created into a "generic" window family that you can start from for a project. This would give you the curtain wall look, with the window behavior.
              .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

              Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                I don't work at all with walls other than curtain walls but isn't there a way to create an opening in a wall and have all of your wraps as you want them creating a hole in the wall for a window? IOW don't use the curtain wall to create the opening? If you can do that just create your window out of curtain wall separately without using the Automatically Embed option and just put the window in the opening...just a thought
                And besides the extra use of words, how does this differ from the reply I gave?

                Originally posted by revittotd View Post
                ....Of course, the completely obliterates the reasons you'd use curtain walls as a window, and would mean updating 2 objects every time you need to move or resize said "window." I would suggest reviewing your curtain walls that you've used in the past. I would guess that they are fairly simple and/or similar mullion patterns and could easily be created into a "generic" window family that you can start from for a project. This would give you the curtain wall look, with the window behavior.
                Depending on the situation, I may have to strongly disagree. In situations where architects is using Revit as a DESIGN tool, CW's are much more intuitive to use, and they won't need to think about changing the values in half a million different parameters, to get the DESIGN they want.
                And even though it means manually swapping of the CW´s to Windows later on, I´m a big fan of letting the Designers use CW's, and not restraining them from being creative with the window design, and mullion placements. And if the earlier mentioned "window family" is purely instance based, it can simply be placed and locked to the CW borders, and thus update automatically along with it - That said, in most cases were CW's are needed for windows for design reasons, we don't really need the returns to be shown :beer:

                But having a built in parameter for interior and exterior returns with CW's would be a great feature though.
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

                Comment


                  #9
                  Many thanks for the thoughtful replies. :beer:

                  Curtain walls used as inserts are extremely useful and an example of how we adapt the tools provided by the programmers to our particular real World needs.

                  (I can't be the only user who has never touched the conceptual modelling bits of Revit?)
                  William Sutherland rias riba
                  WS Architecture Ltd

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by willsud View Post
                    (I can't be the only user who has never touched the conceptual modelling bits of Revit?)
                    No you're not. I have never even taken a peek. Would like to, but never enough time, and haven't had a use for them yet.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X