Light fixture woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light fixture woes!

I have two adjacent ceilings (one flat and one sloped). I add a light fixture to one ceiling, then use "create similar" to create another instance of the same light fixture in the adjacent ceiling. Then I try to align fixtures *, or move the new fixture, or nudge the new fixture, and get an error "Can't keep elements joined" regarding some walls that have nothing to do with the light fixture. I can't continue without losing these joins.

So I'm stuck placing then aligning fixtures and losing my wall joins. But every time I move a light fixture I get the same error, even after un-joining and assumingly resolving the error. It's like the un-joining isn't happening? I'm trying to understand what the light fixture location has to do with those walls:
    1. Perhaps there is a relationship between the hosting ceiling and these walls.
    2. When moving the light fixture, a bounding box similar to that around a group, of about 20' square appears on screen? Perhaps something within in this box is messing with these walls that have to be un-joined with every step in my process.

* I can't seem to place a light fixture precisely in the first place (can't snap to a temporary detail line or model line with work plane set to ceiling determining its intended centerline). Maybe I'm doing something wrong here as well, as I would expect to be able to precisely place light fixtures.

Any help is greatly appreciated! This is taking way longer that it should.

UPDATE: resolved per post #8 below. Thanks to Dan for helping troubleshoot.
    lost again again
    Last edited by lost again again; February 15, 2014, 12:55 AM. Reason: pointed to resolution below.

try putting in a detail line or reference plane to align to. See if that helps. you can delete it later.
    Dan

Comment

I can align to detail and model lines but get the error message. Every time. Maybe the light fixture is the problem. It started out as the OOTB family and I tweaked it by changing type dimension parameters to instance to allow for changes in the project. I've attached it here.
      Attached Files

Comment

is it the sloped ceiling that's the issue, or the flat, or both?
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          is it the sloped ceiling that's the issue, or the flat, or both?
          It seems to be the flat ceiling. Copying a fixture on the sloped ceiling: no error. Moving the fixture: no error. (But I can't place fixture precisely, requiring moving / aligning as separate task. Is this right that I have to do two steps?)

Comment

With can lights on a sloped ceiling, yes. At least that's what I've found. One direction (not with the slope) you can align light to light. The other way, you can't. I've always just assumed it was because of the slope.

On a flat ceiling it should work both ways. Not sure why yours isn't. Seems like the slope ceiling should be the one giving you issues. Same ceiling type?
            Dan

Comment

I've attached an illustration showing:
              1. By placing a reference plane at the center of the fixture on the sloped ceiling, I was able to align the fixtures. But the aligned fixture in this case ends up misaligned with the ceiling surface. However, that's not my issue.
              2. I'm having trouble with error messages each time I move a certain fixture family on the flat ceiling, error messages that, despite my un-joining to continue, pop up again and require un-joining the supposedly now un-joined walls AGAIN.
              3. I've added another fixture to the flat ceiling and am not having the same troubles.
              4. It seems to be the family, but when I open it I can't make any adjustment to whatever the thingy is that extends about 10' beyond the fixture in the project, and I think this what is conflicting with these walls that keep needing to be un-joined (?) .

The different ceiling types: the sloping ceiling is just a sheetrock layer (aligned with roof element above), the flat is sheetrock on wood joists.

Also, please tell me: can you snap to anything while adding a light fixture instance, or do you have to position it as a separate step?
              Attached Files

Comment

No, you have to align the fixtures after you place them. No way to snap it in place that I know of.

I see in the pic you're copying the fixtue? I always create a new instance, never copy. It usually doesn't work to copy them.

Try making your fixture face based instead of ceiling based. My OOTB can light is face based, but you said you started with an OOTB one and just changed the parameters from type to instance. I agree, I think your family is the culprit, but I can't figure out what exactly is wrong. I'd just start over.
                Dan

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll start over. Thanks for the tip about not copying the fixtures. It is nice to copy, mirror and array; but I've been under a waterfall of Revit crap issues today and just need to get something done.

Comment

OK, I've started from the generic model face based, changed it to a lighting fixture, added minimal geometry and a void, and started using it in the project without issue. I see if one is copied, the copy loses its association to the ceiling. Thanks again for your help, Dan.

EDIT: Today I'm able to copy and mirror my (admittedly very simple and not at all MEP bimmy) light fixture around within the same ceiling host without the copies losing association with that host. That sure makes adding them easier.
                    lost again again
                    Last edited by lost again again; February 15, 2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment