keynotes: loading entirely new keynote txt file into an existing project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keynotes: loading entirely new keynote txt file into an existing project

Hi allI have a project that has been going on for a while and everything had keynotes (user and element) but when I had to transfer all the projects onto a different harddrive, I lost my "pathed" keynote txt file. Permanently.The file was a bit of a mess anyway, so I have since created a new keynote file which I hope to use in future projects as well.My problem is this:If I load the new keynote txt file into my current project, all of the references will be wrong. Suddenly I will have walls that are keynoted as WC's, etc. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I have to go through every family and type in my entire project and change the keynotes one by one, hopefully not missing anything? Is there a way to clear all keynote values from the families so that when I go through all my drawings and re-keynote it will reassign a keynote value to each element?

Originally posted by TraceStudio View Post
    Hi allI have a project that has been going on for a while and everything had keynotes (user and element) but when I had to transfer all the projects onto a different harddrive, I lost my "pathed" keynote txt file. Permanently.The file was a bit of a mess anyway, so I have since created a new keynote file which I hope to use in future projects as well.My problem is this:If I load the new keynote txt file into my current project, all of the references will be wrong. Suddenly I will have walls that are keynoted as WC's, etc. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I have to go through every family and type in my entire project and change the keynotes one by one, hopefully not missing anything? Is there a way to clear all keynote values from the families so that when I go through all my drawings and re-keynote it will reassign a keynote value to each element?
    Unless there is some magic that I'm not aware of...you're screwed. I think that if you would have left your original keynote file alone you would have been able to reload it from where ever it was and be OK. Now you have a keynote file that doesn't match the keynote values in your project. Are you sure that you don't have a copy of your original keynote file? Cloud backup? Windows backup? Somewhere?
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Revit Online Help
      If a family is created using a keynote table that is different from the one the project is using and:

- The same value exists in each keynote table, the project’s keynote file values are used.
      - There are different values in each keynote table, or there is no corresponding value for the keynote in the project, the keynote number will display, but the text for the keynote will not display.

To resolve these issues, you can select a new keynote value that is part of the project's keynote table, or add the keynote value to the keynote table.
      Link to Help Topic

To preserve them you need to try to make sure they maintain the same Keynote number (identification) in the new file.
      Last edited by Steve_Stafford; February 6, 2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Following the advice of both Dave and Steve without the original file is about the only way to refresh your keynotes from an new keynote file. Maybe one day keynotes will become more of an internal system operation (like keyboard shortcuts did a couple of years ago) rather than just being a snapshot of an external text file.

I use Keynote Manager - Features which speeds things up a lot and for me, it paid for itself on day one.
        There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment