Design Options in Linked file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Options in Linked file?

The project that I'm working on has an entry vestibule that the design keeps changing. I've got an interior designer, an Architect, and a Structural Engineer trying to dictate how my entry curtain wall framing works and they don't know what they are doing. Nor do they know what they want. I thought that this was an opportune time to learn about Design Options and I'm doing that (started today so I apologize for my lack of knowledge about this subject). My question is this: Since I share my model with the Contractor each week, how are design options included in my model that is shared? Or are they? What is the process to share DOs with others in remote locations? The Contractor opens my model in Navisworks along with everyone else's and we get to do the design review/clash detection roller coaster every Tues morning. I'd like to be able to communicate several different ideas to them without having to keep changing the model.
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Design Options in a Linked file, get controlled on a view by view basis when its linked in to someone elses model. They can go to VG:RVT Link: Design Options, and change what they see. A lot of things are limited to the Primary Option, but i doubt they are things that will affect you: Rooms can only be bound by walls in the primary option, Copy Monitor of fixtures will only read the primary option, etc.

Navisworks? Depends how hes getting the file in to navis. If he opens it to a 3d view and exports, then it depends what that 3d view is set to, in VGesign Options. If he is just "opening" the model in Navisworks, it is using a one of the 3d views (i think) that it finds, based on the views names. I never recommend people use that feature, but they do anyway... Buyer beware.

My advice is export the NWC's for him, showing the different options.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
      My advice is export the NWC's for him, showing the different options.
      thanks Aaron, this is where I will start and see how we do on Tuesday
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

I really like using DO's when required. We faced the same issue with project teams not really up to speed with revit functions. It took us a while to educate but it happened. We basically wrote a process and let them export the required views with the correct vg settings, this way we don't need to keep doing it for them.
        Andrew Harp
        BIM Manager GHD
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
        If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          .... A lot of things are limited to the Primary Option, but i doubt they are things that will affect you: Rooms can only be bound by walls in the primary option, Copy Monitor of fixtures will only read the primary option, etc..
          how can I change the primary DO of a linked model in order to copy/monitor their DO elements?

Comment

by editing the linked file directly
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

so change the DO to primary - reload link - copy/monitor elements - re-edit linked file to change DO back. is this correct? will the CM elements create errors then?

Comment

LOL - I have no idea. Try it and let us know! I'm going to guess yes, errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Greg McDowell Jr
                about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
                  LOL - I have no idea. Try it and let us know! I'm going to guess yes, errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, pretty much was I was going to say :laugh:

changing an elements DO can have a cut & paste -like effect, so if it does fail I'm guessing that's gonna be where you lose your monitoring.

why not create the same DO in the host file and keep your copy monitor in there?

please let us know what happens
                  There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment