Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit to Photoshop

I had a strange request today.
    One of my users want to take their plan view into Photoshop to add some shading etc.
    No problem i thought, just print to pdf and you are all good. She then came back and said that it worked OK, however when the pdf was taking into PS, she could not remove the white background / extent of the pdf.

Anyone have any ideas on how this might be done? is it simply the pdf printer that might cause this?
    Andrew Harp
    BIM Manager GHD
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
    If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

I just exported to pdf and opened it in photoshop the white background is not there. my printer driver is Adobe PDF which is not third party.
    Maybe it could be printer driver could you tell us what is the printer driver name that you used to export to pdf ?

Comment

Been doing this for years.....never had any issues....gonna have to go with ahmed...what printer were you going with?
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
        She then came back and said that it worked OK, however when the pdf was taking into PS, she could not remove the white background / extent of the pdf.
        She's lying :hide:.
        1. Most (if not all) PDF virtual printers would not simply add a white background into the PDF.
        2. Does plan view perhaps add a white shade to the floor slab?
        3. PS has settings to either set and/or ignore PDF backgrounds - so it should import without any trouble with the "background" as if transparent. If 2 is not what happened, then this is probably the issue she's getting.
        4. Even if she forgot to set that correctly, she can still select the background using the wizard wand or select by colour and then "delete the background". PS is not much more than a pixel editor, once the PDF is converted to pixels, it's editable like any photograph.

Originally posted by ahmed_hassan View Post
        my printer driver is Adobe PDF which is not third party.
        Just a small nit-pick here : You the user (1st party), AutoDesk-Revit (2nd party), Adobe-PDF (3rd party). If you meant that the Adobe PDF virtual printer is at least made by the same guys who made Photo Shop, then yes I agree. But then also, I've used many other brands as virtual PDF printers and never came across it "suddenly adding a background for no reason".

Anyhow, I actually prefer exporting to PNG from Revit instead of PDF. You don't need any "third party" program like Adobe PDF. No weird artefacts on small radius curves like you do with PDF. You have more control over the resolution, page/view sizes, file naming, etc. Also it generally exports a LOT quicker than printing if the model is complex. And BTW, it always sets its background as transparent (don't use JPG/BMP as these do add a white background, I think TIFF has same capabilities as PNG, don't know Traga too well).
        Last edited by irneb; January 23, 2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Just a tip, text will get pixalated if rasterized, so I typically print the text, ie room tags to a sep. pdf, then overlay them in illustrator.
          Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Did you try select by color (white)? You can save selection and use the other selection tools to make mods.

Comment

Just set the Layer Blending to Multiply and move the plan layer to the top. The white background will now act as if it is transparent when there is any shading behind it. Photoshop 101.

Comment