Revit Book for HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Book for HS

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book for a HS class starting to introduce Revit? I have recommended that they either get RAC or ROB since they seem to offer the most overall tools for the program that are not specific (since it is highschool) It would be great if the book had a curriculum built in to it as well...

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Grant

Grant,
    I am partial to Revit Essentials (Duell, Hathorn & Hathorn). It isn't structured like a textbook, but I could see building a class around it none the less. I have not seen much in the way of Revit text books, and what I have have, um, sucked. Horrible examples, obviously lacking in real world experience, and instruction to do things that are a fireable offense. Yeah, a "text book" saves the instructor time by providing canned lectures and assignments, but at what cost to quality.
    Then again, the only teaching I have done is winging a few junior college classes as a sub, so I can't speak to the time saved not building lesson plans and work files from scratch.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Peter's long stopped updating his blog since his move to Washington - but I still think he's got the best "how-to-work-through" / "Revit 1.01" set of posts to get people started with Revit : Revit Detail

The added bonus of it not being a book is obvious.

Comment

I teach a "Revit Essentials" class at a local college and we use Dan Stine's book
        Residential Design Using Autodesk Revit 2014: Daniel John Stine: 9781585038107: Amazon.com: Books
        He's got several different flavors for Residential, Commercial, Interiors and MEP, so look around on Amazon.
        He publishes through Schroff and I think they offer an educational discount.
        Dan's books start with some general concept and then by about chapter 3 or 4, they work through one example project for the rest of the book. So you build on what you start with.
        (Full disclosure: Dan presents frequently at MNRUG)
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

I Agree with snowyweston. I followed Revit Detail from its beginnings and found it to be a great resource for me.
          Juan Carlos Moreno
          Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
          Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
            I teach a "Revit Essentials" class at a local college and we use Dan Stine's book
            Residential Design Using Autodesk Revit 2014: Daniel John Stine: 9781585038107: Amazon.com: Books
            He's got several different flavors for Residential, Commercial, Interiors and MEP, so look around on Amazon.
            Dan's books start with some general concept and then by about chapter 3 or 4, they work through one example project for the rest of the book. So you build on what you start with.
            Second for Dan’s book. Great way to start with Revit :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
              I teach a 2 different area colleges I use the commercial version of the Dan Stine book. I can also vouch for the Duell, Hathorn, Hathorn book. I know that Ryan and Tobias basically structured the book after what they teach. I teach at the same college they do just on a different night.
              Jeff Hanson
              Sr. Subject Matter Expert
              Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Paul Aubin, Daniel Stine and Ascent each offer exercise focused books. Ascent's is probably the closest to the tutorials that Autodesk used to provide and I believe they offer an instructor version. The Wiley/Sybex books are Autodesk approved courseware but they are less exercise focused (unless they have a teacher version I haven't seen). I think they each offer useful perspectives that a student will benefit from. I'd see if the budget can stretch to include more than one book. It might be doable if you discuss the class with the publishers and secure a class or student discount?

Comment

Working...
                X