Point clouds in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point clouds in 2014

I'm having serious issues with Revit crawling at a snail's pace whenever I bring a point cloud into it. Can Anyone help me? I've done all the usual setting up plan views and sections with minimal view range to minimise background noise, but still no joy.

1: I've read that I need to break the point cloud file into smaller pieces. If this is true, how do I go about doing it? It's in RCP format.

2: I've used Recap to get my RCS files (3 in total) into RCP format, as I believe this is the correct way to do it in 2014.

3: What is "indexing" files? I'm unser the impression that it's the process of making a point cloud "workable" in Revit. I may be wrong on this.

I think what I need, is a proper step by step tutorial on how to bring the point cloud file into Revit, in the correct manner, in the correct format that doesn't slow Revit down.

Thanks.

We recently had a new member join from Plowman Craven - I can't recall their username right now - but once I do I'll point them here / you to them.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
      We recently had a new member join from Plowman Craven - I can't recall their username right now - but once I do I'll point them here / you to them.
      Cheers mate. I'm really in trouble here lol.

Comment

Originally posted by nealmac View Post
        I'm really in trouble here lol.
        HERE he is! PM him...

Comment

Thanks Snowy. Just sent him a PM.

Comment

hi Neal, just logged in and arrived here.

A few things first, what are you PC specs and what data are you using for to get the Recap file ie a PTS, PCG etc?

What is the size of the RCS file at the moment?
            Last edited by James; January 14, 2014, 02:47 PM.
            Creating BIM models from highly accurate 3D laser scan point clouds.

Plowman Craven

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
              hi Neal, just logged in and arrived here.

A few things first, what are you PC specs and what data are you using for to get the Recap file ie a PTS, PCG etc?

What is the size of the RCS file at the moment?
              Hi James. Thanks for replying.

PC specs are:

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
              Intel i7 2860QM CPU @2.5GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia Quadro 4000M

I'm using 3 PCG files. The RCS files are 6 10 and 7 GB.

Comment

Hi James. Thanks for replying.

PC specs are:

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
                Intel i7 2860QM CPU @2.5GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia Quadro 4000M

I'm using 3 PCG files. The RCS files are 6 10 and 7 GB.
                crikey, they will slow it down. i dont suppose you have the .IMP file or the original raw scan data file?

ideally you want to aim for below 5GB (.PCG) and for .RCS i would say smaller otherwise it will spend the whole day regenerating the points.

have you edited the RCS in ReCap and used the clipping tool?

Plowman Craven

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  crikey, they will slow it down. i dont suppose you have the .IMP file or the original raw scan data file?

ideally you want to aim for below 5GB (.PCG) and for .RCS i would say smaller otherwise it will spend the whole day regenerating the points.

have you edited the RCS in ReCap and used the clipping tool?
                  I have 429 POD files, if they're any use? I also have 3 PTS files.

I basically just brought the 3 PCG files into recap and saved them into a single RCP file. I then took this file into Revit. I didn't do anything else in recap, like "clipping" is this where I'm going wrong?

Comment

I have 429 POD files, if they're any use? I also have 3 PTS files.

I basically just brought the 3 PCG files into recap and saved them into a single RCP file. I then took this file into Revit. I didn't do anything else in recap, like "clipping" is this where I'm going wrong?
                    possibly yes, can you share one of the RCS files? - I have an FTP if you need to upload to it - if not i will see what large RCS files we have here and do a little guide for you.

Plowman Craven

Comment