PDF Printers, Creators & Editors for use with Revit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF Printers, Creators & Editors for use with Revit

What are the best PDF printers for use with Revit?

What are the best PDF editors (mainly for re-arranging and combining PDF files, e.g. a set of drawings)?

I guess Adobe Acrobat Pro is the gold standard, but on paper, it's hard to justify the US$400 price tag for each user. Maybe the reality is it's worth it in the end to avoid so many problems I've had with less expensive solutions. What's your experience? What would you recommend?

Also, I'm going to throw in the question of alternatives to Adobe Reader... which, to put it politely, is fairly resource heavy, has a frustrating download and installation routine. Anyone using alternatives to Adobe Reader for viewing PDFs?

I'm sure some solutions are more appropriate to larger firms, and some solutions are more appropriate to smaller firms.
    Last edited by iru69; May 11, 2011, 11:16 PM.

We use in our office PDFCreator. it's free, easy to use, and allows to combine large files from various sources. A must have for years by now.
    We have one licence Acrobat per office to manipulate some pdf when needed.
    FYI, we are about 2000 in my firm.
    And IMHO, PDFcreator works better with cad and Revit than Acrobat (did a few tests some months ago).
    Last edited by jbenoit44; May 11, 2011, 07:27 PM.
    Julien
    "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
    P. DAC
    Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

We use Bluebeam Revu for editing, rearranging, combining, extracting, etc. It does everything we need for a fraction of the cost of Acrobat. We use their PDF print driver (which is included with Revu) for printing from Revit and it has worked great. The few times we have needed support from them, they have been stellar. Their website is: http://www.bluebeam.com/

Chuck

Comment

My firm of about 200 use CutePDF (the free version) we have several liscences of Abrobat Pro in the office for editing.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by cblackford View Post
          We use Bluebeam Revu for editing, rearranging, combining, extracting, etc. It does everything we need for a fraction of the cost of Acrobat. We use their PDF print driver (which is included with Revu) for printing from Revit and it has worked great. The few times we have needed support from them, they have been stellar. Their website is: http://www.bluebeam.com/

Chuck
          For the win.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Bluebeam Revu gets mentioned a lot. There's the Standard, CAD and eXtreme versions. Looking at the comparison chart, I see the CAD version offers some additional features. However, is it necessary to get the CAD version for Revit? What's the "one click" printing from Revit like?

Also, can anyone comment on how often they have major upgrades and whether that ties in to usability (i.e. I'm wondering if we're going to be on the hook for upgrades every year)?

Thanks for chiming in on this topic. I know it's been covered many times in various threads over the years, but I thought it might be cool to have a dedicated thread to the topic at RFO.
            Last edited by iru69; May 11, 2011, 08:16 PM. Reason: question about upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by iru69 View Post
              Bluebeam Revu gets mentioned a lot. There's the Standard, CAD and eXtreme versions. Looking at the comparison chart, I see the CAD version offers some additional features. However, is it necessary to get the CAD version for Revit? What's the "one click" printing from Revit like?

Also, can anyone comment on how often they have major upgrades and whether that ties in to usability (i.e. I'm wondering if we're going to be on the hook for upgrades every year)?

Thanks for chiming in on this topic. I know it's been covered many times in various threads over the years, but I thought it might be cool to have a dedicated thread to the topic at RFO.
              We are currenlty running 19 seats of BB.
              Like previously stated it will save you some money when your seat count gets up there and I know that we get better prices for seats bought in 5's.
              The one click from Revit works pretty good. It is like an add in to your toolbar in Word or excell and even Autocad.

The one thing about it is that it does have a yearly upgrade and for this you have to fork out some cash again. And from what I have seen they dont have a very good backwards/forward compatibility for Revit releases ( you will have to buy their new versions to match up with your Revit release)

For using, this is a very simple and very user friendly software.
              You have a great range of editability to your documents.
              I have even convinced my project architects to do their markups and stamping in BB.

Hope this helps.
              I would suggest giving the trial a go and have a look for you self.
              Their training and tutorial materials are helpfull to get started.

Cheers

PS from my knowledge you need the CAD version for Revit add
              Last edited by RabbitHole; May 11, 2011, 09:36 PM.
              MW

Comment

Rabbit can certainly chime in if im missing something, but the "one click print" vanished for us when the UI changed to ribbons in 2010, and i havent seen it since, in three offices that use Revu. But, it could just be that we dont care, either. Its set up as a printer, and it works great. The quality is fabulous, and a lot of our people use it for markups too (when they arent using DWF).

EDIT: Makes sense. You dont get the One-Click print with the standard version, which means we all have the standard version, and we all love it.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

PDF Creator here. I have been using it for years and it has always performed flawlessly.
                  Ian Kidston
                  http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Good day Aaron
                    Yes if you are running the Standard version you prop wont have the added button.
                    But if you have the CAD version, you can make sure that the add button is activated for the system.
                    Just go to your bluebeam folder from the startup menu and maunch the blue beam administrator. Check the Revit and ACAD box.
                    Now from what I knwo vers 8.5 only does Revit 2011. You will have to buy the new BB if you want it in Revit 2012. So I still have to get my management in on this one.
                    MW

Comment