Cut Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut Plane

How do I make a manual cut plane of a specific area? I have a window that the cut plane does not go through by default. I want to be able to see the window in plan view and can't remember how to do it, been way too long.

Hmm, I'm using a template I made way back in an older version. I just traced out my second level and now when I return to the first floor, I can see the walls above on the second floor. I'm not sure how to control that, I don't want to see the walls above, at least not time for printing (even though it's handy moving things around while doing the plans). Not sure what changed in the newer versions but I can't seem to figure out how to control the view range because I'm not really that familiar with it .

Comment

Originally posted by kroke71 View Post
      How do I make a manual cut plane of a specific area? I have a window that the cut plane does not go through by default. I want to be able to see the window in plan view and can't remember how to do it, been way too long.
      View tab>Plan Views>Plan Region. Draw the area where you want to change your cut plane. While the border is selected, click on View Range on the ribbon and adjust cut plane as needed.

Originally posted by kroke71 View Post
      Hmm, I'm using a template I made way back in an older version. I just traced out my second level and now when I return to the first floor, I can see the walls above on the second floor. I'm not sure how to control that, I don't want to see the walls above, at least not time for printing (even though it's handy moving things around while doing the plans). Not sure what changed in the newer versions but I can't seem to figure out how to control the view range because I'm not really that familiar with it .
      In view properties, make sure the 'Underlay' option is set to none.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I have been away from the computer for a long time. Thank you so much for the tips, I will check it out tonight and give you a report!

Comment

For windows above the cut plane but within the top range of the view, i usually show them by using detail lines in the window family. I think the kind of problem u have is to be solved somehow with the help of detail lines in the family editor plan view of the window.

Comment

Have a read:

View Range explained
            HOK BIM Solutions: Why Windows in Revit Don?t Cut it.
            Shades of Grey: FANLIGHT FANNY

When you get to windows that are above the cut plane in the project there are a couple places to look. You can use a plan region as PijPiwo mentioned or you may need to adjust your view range in the family per the second and third links.
            Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
            BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I've really lost my ability over the years from not using the program, eeks! PijPiwo, your solutions worked perfectly and was just what I was looking for! I can't believe I forgot to check the underlay option :banghead:

Comment

You can also use the "invisible line in the window family" trick. Just draw an invisible line from the sill down to the reference plane. As long as the cut plane is cutting something in the family, the window will show up.
                Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                  You can also use the "invisible line in the window family" trick. Just draw an invisible line from the sill down to the reference plane. As long as the cut plane is cutting something in the family, the window will show up.
                  ...Lol, Dan, we have already talked about it http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...html#post93532

Comment

oops. :hide:
                    hey, I'm old. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Or did I skip breakfast today? hmmmmm
                    Dan

Comment