Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

orphaned user keynote

not very experienced w/ keynote stuff so forgive my silly question:
    in what cases the user keynote(s) will be orphanned? or simply ask reversed question here -> how to make keynote(s) orphaned? from what i just played w/, seems keynote(s) will automatically deleted if host is removed, i must missed something very simple?!

Originally posted by Ning Zhou View Post
    not very experienced w/ keynote stuff so forgive my silly question:
    in what cases the user keynote(s) will be orphanned? or simply ask reversed question here -> how to make keynote(s) orphaned? from what i just played w/, seems keynote(s) will automatically deleted if host is removed, i must missed something very simple?!
    Keynotes can lose their host for various reasons (inc. delete element). This free addin will find your orphaned ones.
    This thread has some great tips and links regarding keynotes.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
      Keynotes can lose their host for various reasons (inc. delete element). This free addin will find your orphaned ones.
      This thread has some great tips and links regarding keynotes.
      Nice addin! Harry has the best stuff :bb:
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

thanks elton.
        that thread in Harry's blog is exactly the reason i'm asking this question here because i want to investigate and perhaps write my own, any chance uploading simple rvt w/ normal and orphaned keynote(s)? perhaps explain how to make normal one to orphaned one.

Comment

no one can provide sample orphaned keynotes rvt file? well, looks like I've to dig my old MEP file to find some orphaned electrical stuff instead of keynote ...
          http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...-orphaned.html

Comment

no one can provide sample orphaned keynotes rvt file? well, looks like I've to dig my old MEP file to find some orphaned electrical stuff instead of keynote ...
            I'm sorry Ning Zhou I don't have a sample project, I try to fix my errors when I see them! I don't see it a lot but AFAIK it can happen to keynotes when referenced elements are swapped out or deleted. You've probably already seen this post where it mentions worksharing issues also.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

I don't know about you....but when I find an orphan keynote I try to make sure it finds a new home as soon as possible....why should I keep a file with that rememberance that they were orphaned? I want them to be proud they have a home and pointing out what they should be associated with....
              Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

thanks Elton for the hint, now I do remember that linkage is the main cause for the orphaned element.

right MPwuzhere, the only reason I asked for that silly orphaned sample is for API investigation.

Comment

I have always (last two years with Revit) been using "orphaned" keynotes, but do not completely understand keynotes in general. Please help - I am trying to keep keynotes disassociated but Revit wants me to pick a new host. The way I use Keynotes is NOT hosted, but rather managed through a spreadsheet where I type in the description as I would like it to read. I like placing keynotes and assigning them verbiage manually, perhaps because I don't understand keynotes, but it works for me, when it works. Right now it is not "working" because I cannot get rid of the host, so please help if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                    I don't know about you....but when I find an orphan keynote I try to make sure it finds a new home as soon as possible....why should I keep a file with that rememberance that they were orphaned? I want them to be proud they have a home and pointing out what they should be associated with....
                    Geez...how much :beer: and :whiskey: did I have to write this?
                    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment