View to sheet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View to sheet question

If i am right view to sheet should show on screen the exact thing that it will be printed on paper. I tried to measure a wall of 10m on my screen with my ruler (with scales) and i found it 7.5m. Anyone has any idea what is happening? Thank you

When you say you are measuring on screen are you holding up a ruler to your monitor or using the measuring tool (yellow ruler) in revit? While views are added to a sheet at a specified scale you can still zoom in and out of the sheet, making the size, if you are trying to measure your monitor, variable. Using the ruler tool on the sheet (not in an active view) should give you the correct size of the element at the specified scale.
    Julie Kidder
    Architect + BIM Director
    Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

If your view is not active, using the measuring tool on a sheet will tell you what the measurement is without the scale being applied. In other words, (I just did this so I know it works), I have a 44' wide building. When I used the measure tool on a sheet on a deactivated view that's set up to be 1/4"=1', it measures 11'. 11'X4 =44', which is actual measurement.

Long story short, it's measuring correctly and it's measuring exactly what you want it to measure. If you want the modeled length, either activate the view or open up the view, then measure it.
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
        If your view is not active, using the measuring tool on a sheet will tell you what the measurement is without the scale being applied. In other words, (I just did this so I know it works), I have a 44' wide building. When I used the measure tool on a sheet on a deactivated view that's set up to be 1/4"=1', it measures 11'. 11'X4 =44', which is actual measurement.

Long story short, it's measuring correctly and it's measuring exactly what you want it to measure. If you want the modeled length, either activate the view or open up the view, then measure it.
        I think I'm going to choke...measuring geometry on your *monitor* with a ruler??
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
          I think I'm going to choke...measuring geometry on your *monitor* with a ruler??
          I've seen people write on their monitors. Anytime someone comes near my screen with a pen I threaten them with a variety of bodily harm or better - to make sure their CAD/Revit/Outlook etc magically quits working if they touch my screens with the writing end of a pen.
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

I have a few here that actually put trace over their monitors and (literally) draw on them. Dont get me started. If asked, i would literally go buy them 30 dollars worth of plexi or glass, and BUILD a mount to their monitors. But... sigh...
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              I have a few here that actually put trace over their monitors and (literally) draw on them. Dont get me started. If asked, i would literally go buy them 30 dollars worth of plexi or glass, and BUILD a mount to their monitors. But... sigh...
              I guess for a conceptual design sort of deal I could see the point. But the OP was trying to determine an accurate hard dimension. OK, I hate to admit it but I just created a 1' square in a drafting view and measured it with a scale on my monitor. Not 1' x 1'. Wouldn't the actual size totally depend on the zoom ratio of the view? I have 29" monitors and even at ZX the square is about 75% of it's actual size. Blah, enough of this nonsense...back to wine drinking! :wine:

Comment

It drinks the wine or....
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

?? huh ??...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                    ?? huh ??...
                    It gets the hose....?
                    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment