Linking a Revit Model to cad site plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking a Revit Model to cad site plan

I have linked a site plan to my revit building model but am having a few problems keeping the link correct. If I go out and modify the cad drawing, just removing lettering, when I reopen the Revit file it's like I never set the building orientation and location. In other words, I have to "Move Project" again then "Rotate true North" again. In other words, start all over. How can I keep these two files linked and to stay where I put them?

Thanks in advance.

Are you linking your cad file into a "true North view" and rotating the cad file after you initially link?

Comment

The cad file comes in as true north. My Revit file was about 6 deg off north. I moved my building to a corner location on the cad site plan-then rotated the building to true north or the building line that the site plan has for a building line. It is an existing site and building. I am basically doing a redraw because there are no building plans available but was able to get an alta survey which saved me from recreating the site. I will have have to double check but I believe I am linking the cad file in a true north view. So far I have rotated the building to match the cad file.
      Last edited by Fineline; October 27, 2013, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I find the best workflow is set up the cad file to a project North orientation first, and then link it into a project North view. You can then use the true north reference angle in the cad file to rotate true north in a true north view. We actually have two preset working views in our template that are used specifically for this purpose.

Comment

The Cad file and revit model will both rotate to true north or project north so it appears that I have the files tied together at the right point. Here the civil plan checkers want to see the site plan with North South straight up and down on the plan. That I can do. What about the issue of seeming to loose the location or tie point between the two plans if I modify the CAD file? I originally linked them project center to center. I tried stacking the survey point on top of the project center but that doesn't help. Do I need to link it in a different manner.

Ultimately I will probably just draw over the Alta survey and then it will be a non issue but I would kind of like to know what I might be doing wrong for the next one. Most of the stuff I've been doing in revit up to now has been detail work within a room or area and doing specific furnishings & equipment. However I see this expansion as something that I will be doing more and more.

Comment