What is the use of Moves With Nearby Elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the use of Moves With Nearby Elements

When any family is selected we are getting a check option Moves With Nearby Elements, I am not getting what is the use of this opton and
    when any element in the project is selected we are getting one more option Activate Dimenssions.

What are the use of this option

Any one help Me
    Attached Files

I find it useful for furniture, which I don't want to constrain to a wall, but if I move the wall I want the furniture to go with it. It is a special case, to be sure.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Indeed it is. I used it a bit when I first started using Revit but haven't even looked at it for a long time now.
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

As the others have said: Not very much used, especially since the results aren't always consistent. It's supposed to work similar to rooms moving when you move the wall. But as always, such "automatic" adjustments aren't always going to do what you're expecting. So most just leave those things off, and adjust manually when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
          I find it useful for furniture, which I don't want to constrain to a wall, but if I move the wall I want the furniture to go with it. It is a special case, to be sure.

Gordon

Mr Gordon

Using this option is it possible to interconnect multiple families, like if i move a sofa then corner table and side chair will move with.

And thanks for the help
          Last edited by amarkrish108; October 18, 2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amarkrish108 View Post
            Mr Gordon

Using this option is it possible to interconnect multiple families, like if i move a sofa then corner table and side chair will move with.

And thanks for the help
            For that I think you would be able to use groups to accomplish.
            Joshua Kohl

Eastern Exterior Wall Systems, Inc
            www.eews.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Kohl View Post
              For that I think you would be able to use groups to accomplish.
              Or if the families are all of the same type - Assemblies.

Comment

This feature only really applies to components (and lines) that are near a wall. Read what the help doc says.

Originally posted by Revit Help
                You can specify that lines and components near a wall move a corresponding distance whenever that wall is moved. To do this, use the Moves with Nearby Elements option.
                • Select one or more components.
                • On the Properties palette, select Moves With Nearby Elements.
                • Move the selected components to the desired position.Witness lines show dimensions from walls and other points. If desired, you can click a dimension to change it.

Now when you move the wall that the component is linked to, the component also moves, maintaining its distance from the wall.
                The following restrictions apply to the Move With Nearby Elements option:
                • Only straight lines that are parallel to a wall are affected by this option. It is not available for detail lines, sketch-based elements, and families.
                • For arc lines, the radius remains at a constant offset from the arc wall, even if the radius of the wall changes. For example, if you change a wall radius from 40 to 30 meters, a 20-meter arc line radius updates to 10 meters, maintaining the 20-meter offset.
                • If you copy a line or component that is set to move with nearby elements, the copy also moves with the element.
                • If you move the line or component toward another element, it then moves with that new element. For example, suppose that a straight line moves with a wall. When you move the line closer to another straight wall with which it is parallel, the line now moves with the new wall. However, if you place a wall closer to the line or component, it does not move with that new wall. It retains its movement with the first wall.

Comment

Originally posted by amarkrish108
                  ...when any element in the project is selected we are getting one more option Activate Dimensions...
                  Temporary dimensions appear when you select an element. When you select several elements they often don't appear but the activate dimensions button does appear on the Option Bar. This is meant to allow us to display temporary dimensions anytime they don't appear automatically. For example let's say I want to reposition several components using a temporary dimension value that only appears when I select one of them. Selecting them again and clicking the Activate Dimensions button will tell Revit I'd like to see the temporary dimensions anyway. Then I can change the value to reposition all of the selected elements.

I could also place a dimension and use that to reposition them. Either way I get what I want done.
                  Last edited by Steve_Stafford; May 1, 2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Steve, that technique is amazingly useful! As our friends across the pond would say: Brilliant!
                    I've always wanted a way to select multiple walls and move them with a Temporary Dimension. Can't believe I've used Revit for 10 years and never knew that!

I actually stumbled across this post when I was searching for something about the new 2015 "Reveal Constraints" feature.
                    I was curious if that "moves with nearby elements" shows up in Reveal Constraints mode. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

But I think I learned something even more useful! :thumbsup:
                    Dave Plumb
                    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment