Linked workset glitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked workset glitch?

I have a project that is comprised of 2 buildings (Building A and Building B).There is a large team working on the project, so it was split into separate models, a Shell model and an Interiors model (simplified examples shown for this post). Within each model there is a Building A workset and a Building B workset, as well as a workset for the linked model. The models are linked together (obviously).

Here's what's happening: Let's say that I am in the Interiors model and I want to work on only Building A. I should be able to close the Building B workset and all Building B elements (both Interior and Shell) should be turned off. When I close the Building B workset, only the interior elements turn off - UNLESS - I uncheck 'Visible in all Views' on an unrelated workset like Shared Levels and Grids or Workset 1.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this behavior? Is this just a glitch?
    Attached Files

In your second image you have the building b workset closed, however the visibilty is still checked on??
    are you sure the worksets within your linked files have identical names?
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

The visibilty being checked 'on' shouldn't matter if the workset is closed, right?

Also, yes, I'm sure that they have identical names.

I think both of these points are evidenced by the fact that it starts working properly after you uncheck the visibility of Workset 1 or Shared Levels and Grids.

Comment

When the workset names between files are identical the hosting file controls the other's workset behavior. It's a more or less undocumented way to control the worksets of a link without digging deeper into V/G and the Revit Links tab (I've written about it on my blog as have a few others). But for it to be effective you have to coordinate which names should match or not. If getting people in your own office to create and put things on the correct workset is difficult then relying on it to work across several firms can be tricky.
        Last edited by Steve_Stafford; October 9, 2013, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
          When the workset names between files are identical the hosting file controls the other's workset behavior.

Steve, it's this behavior that I'm trying to control. What's happening is that I want to close certain worksets in order to speed up my file's performance. But when I close them, elements from the identical workset in the linked file don't close as they should, at least not immediately. In order to get them to close, I have to go back into the Worksets dialouge box and change a property of an unrelated workset and it seems to 'jolt' the worksets back into the correct behavior.

Comment

When you select a linked file are its Instance AND Type parameters for Workset the same?

Comment

That's interesting - I didn't know that there was an option to set the link's workset in the Type Parameters (and actually that clears up a different problem I was having, so thanks for that) but even when the linked file's Instance and Type parameter for Workset are the same, the behavior does not change.
              Last edited by RaiderArch; October 9, 2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Okay let's back up... Fresh example...

One file has a workset called "Grids - Architecture" and all grids in this model are assigned to that workset. The rest of the elements in this file are assigned to Workset1.

Now I link that model into a new model. It has Workset1 and Shared Levels and Grids for now. I can't control the linked grids without using Visibility/Graphics and the Revit Links tab. If I add a new Workset named exactly like theirs, "Grids - Architecture", it will allow me to close their workset when I close mine, because the names match.

That's the concept.

It doesn't sound like you have that structure in place.

Comment

That is exactly the structure I have in place. Let me try to explain this way:

Model: Shell
                  Worksets:
                  • Building A (hosts exterior walls for Building A)
                  • Building B (hosts exterior walls for Building B)
                  • LINK (hosts linked Interior Model)
                  • Workset 1 (empty)
                  • Shared Levels and Grids (empty)

Model: Interior
                  Worksets:
                  • Building A (hosts interior walls for Building A)
                  • Building B (hosts interior walls for Building B)
                  • LINK (hosts linked Exterior Model)
                  • Workset 1 (empty)
                  • Shared Levels and Grids (empty)

If you look at my 3rd image from the original post, you can see that I can get this to work correctly - I just have to add in a seemingly arbitrary step of checking or unchecking 'Visible in All Views' for an empty workset.

Comment

Okay I mocked up a pair of models as you describe, thanks for the breakdown. I can get similar results, like you describe. I find I get more stable or predictable results if I use the Project Browser > Revit Links > Right Click > Manage Worksets for the link I want to alter. You'll note a subtle difference when you take this route, the dialog button says Reload. The regular workset dialog says OK.

I think that since this "undocumented trick" came about that something subtle has changed. When you use the Worksets dialog it may be preoccupied with "local" workset alteration and may not reach into the link quite the same way. When you use the Manage Worksets route (either with Project Browser or the Manage Links dialog) it focuses on the linked file instead.

One other thing is that with this technique I don't think we or Revit really expects elements to be on the same workset in both models. I'm usually trying to control something that is in a linked file and not actually using the workset for any local elements. In your case I'd have a workset in the shell model for A Shell and B shell and then add equal worksets in the interior model but there would not be any elements assigned to them in the host (interior).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; October 9, 2013, 10:20 PM.

Comment