Design Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Options

I have a situation that I think is perfect for design options. But, since I've never used them before, I wanted some advice.

Basically, I'm trying to model a "typical" building that we produce 90% of the time. Within this building, we have 2 different layouts. It's a small change. I can either have a kids play area, or a manager's office. I've already designed it so the main walls will not change. All I do is add a few walls, a door, a desk, and the required MEP.

I'm also thinking of doing it for the structural floor since I have front load and rear load.

It sounds like this is perfect for design options. But, will it allow me to make one primary and still keep the secondary (without deleting it), so I can change it in the future? And can I have different options for different parts of the building?

One more question: Will design options allow me to annotate the option? That way, when I make it primary it's already dimensioned and ready to go? What about MEP, sections, etc. etc.?
    Last edited by dzatto; May 2, 2011, 04:00 PM.
    Dan

Design Options indeed allow you to keep the secondary option. There's no need to delete them, other then maybe preventing people from accidently modelling in the wrond DO.
    As for the different options for different parts of the building: you need to use option sets for this. The playground/manager's office is one option set. The front load vs rear load is another option set.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Cool, and what about dimensions and annotation? Can that also be part of a design set, or just the modeled geometry?
      Dan

Comment

Just the geometry, but you make different views that see the different options, and you can annotate the different views. So you can keep them both.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Ahhhh, so I could have Floor Plan Kids Room, and Floor Plan Office views. Dimension them both. Then, when the owner pics one, delete the other one?

The only problem is I'll have twice as many views. Then, if I added front load and back load, thats four times as many. It may not be worth it.
          Dan

Comment

More views doesnt hurt anything. if its something you can annotate in ten minutes, maybe its not worth it. Otherwise...
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Simply add another sorting parameter to the Project Browser which sorts views by DO first... You said it would work for 90% of your designs so in my book it's well worth the effort.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Good info guys. Thanks.

Just thought of another thing. If I add a door or 2, then my schedules will be numbered wrong. I guess I could put the new doors at the end of the list, but I like to number doors and windows in some sort of logical pattern (as much as I can). I don't like numbering all but 2 doors, then coming back to those 2 later. It's a pet peeve of mine. :laugh:

I think I'll save this project under another name and play around with DO a little. It may well be worth it.
                Dan

Comment

Schedules have a VG-DO tab as well. As long as the doors are included in the DO, you can renumber them.

Comment

But what about the other doors? If I already have door numbers 12 and 13 out of 30 and add 2 doors, will it automatically renumber the existing doors?
                    Dan

Comment