Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loading Families

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Loading Families

    Hi all!

    I am having trouble with loading families..I load them from the ones given with revit and it does nothing at all. I try to load them, the cursor shows the loading logo and it gives me a normal door not what I want..

    Where am I going wrong?:banghead:

    Any help would be appreciated and thanks again.
    Construction Management undergrad.

    No laughing at my revit work :laugh:

    #2
    jacko, pay special attention to the folder name that contained the file you loaded from, and you will then be able to scroll down the families in the project browser into that category, and find the family you downloaded. Then you drag it out onto the project view, if you have a view open that receives that particular family. Otherwise the family should be available for you in whichever tool accesses that category of family, i.e. window tool accesses windows. And welcome by the way.
    Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

    Comment


      #3
      Since you mention doors, any chance you are trying to find the curtain wall door(s)? When you load a family they ARE in the Door folder which would suggest that they are doors but they are really Curtain Wall Panels. A subtle difference since curtain walls can't host regular door families. To place a curtain wall panel door you need to select the panel that should be a door and then use the Type Selector to swap them out.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
        A subtle difference since curtain walls can't host regular door families.
        unless you swap the curtain wall panel out to a basic wall first - then the put the (basic wall type) door in that panel.

        But I find that a PITA.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
          Since you mention doors, any chance you are trying to find the curtain wall door(s)? When you load a family they ARE in the Door folder which would suggest that they are doors but they are really Curtain Wall Panels. A subtle difference since curtain walls can't host regular door families. To place a curtain wall panel door you need to select the panel that should be a door and then use the Type Selector to swap them out.

          Just realised my stupidity..

          Can you explain the type selector a bit more..I still can't find where to select the panel.
          Construction Management undergrad.

          No laughing at my revit work :laugh:

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Jacko322 View Post
            Just realised my stupidity..

            Can you explain the type selector a bit more..I still can't find where to select the panel.
            If you need to select a single element hover your mouse over the area and hit <tab> key until it highlights the panel (also in the lower left of the screen it tells you by category:type name which element you currently have highlighted), then click to select. Now at the top of your properties window you will have a drop down menu, this is the type selector. Here will be shown all families that can be swapped out with your particular selected element. In the case of a curtain panel being selected you should also find any loaded curtain wall doors listed.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

            Comment


              #7
              Well the issue is when I have the panel selected, and I go to the type selector I do not see the curtain door I just loaded..

              Thanks Elton.
              Construction Management undergrad.

              No laughing at my revit work :laugh:

              Comment


                #8
                If you loaded the family while the door command was active then it didn't load. You probably saw a warning that the family wasn't the correct type. Use Insert ribbon > Load Family and choose your curtain wall door again. If you are successful you should find it listed among the Curtain Panel category of Families in the Project Browser.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
                  If you loaded the family while the door command was active then it didn't load. You probably saw a warning that the family wasn't the correct type. Use Insert ribbon > Load Family and choose your curtain wall door again. If you are successful you should find it listed among the Curtain Panel category of Families in the Project Browser.
                  Well I do not see it, and no error is showing when I choose to load it. No idea where to go from here.


                  Edit: Thanks for your post
                  Last edited by Jacko322; September 11, 2013, 01:25 PM.
                  Construction Management undergrad.

                  No laughing at my revit work :laugh:

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Okay let's start fresh, what are you trying to do? What have you done? Perhaps listing those things will provide a clue to what is happening.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X