URL relative Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URL relative Links

It is possible to assign a URL path as a parameter to a family. I have done this (providing the path to a pdf file located in a subordinate folder). The problem is that when I copy th efolders to another computer, the links don't work anymore.
    Does anyone know that proper path structure to maintain a relative path within a folder structure??

If the folder structure was:
    M:\CONSTRUCTION SERVICES\VCC BIM\1861 Ozark Hall\RECORD SET\DOCUMENTS\23 - HVAC
    With the Revit Model living in "RECORD SET" and the associated file living in "23- - HVAC" and I copy the entire folder structure (from "RECORD SET" on down) to the new location, shouldn't the path be:
    .\RECORD SET\DOCUMENTS\23 - HVAC\associated file name
    I have tried
    ..\RECORD SET\DOCUMENTS\23 - HVAC\associated file name
    .\DOCUMENTS\23 - HVAC\associated file name
    DOCUMENTS\23 - HVAC\associated file name
    and multiple others, but nothing seems to work on other computers (although it seems to work consistanly on my computer when I copy it from server, to local, to disk, to flash, etc.)

Any thoughts?

IIRC, the relative path is only applicable if the associated file is located in the exact same folder of your Revit file. Then, the relative path is simply the associated file name.
    Alexandre Cantin
    "BIM is happening now! Be part of it."

Comment

There's a BUT!

If you create a shortcut of your files in the project file folder, you will be able to link them the way you want. Just be sure to delete the extension of the shortcut (.pdf, .xls etc.) and it should work.
      Alexandre Cantin

Comment

Alexo4141,
        I tried just the file name in the folder, but it doesn't seem to work.
        I have created a dummy project and pdf (attached). I don't understand what you mean to do by creatign a chortcut- doesn't that just add a step?

Capture.PNG
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I'm doing : Relative Path in URL Parameter - Alexandre-Cantin's library
          Let me know if you need some more explanations. The downside of that is that you're going to have some shortcuts in you project folder but at least these are not the "live" files.

HTH
          Alexandre Cantin

Comment

Thanks, but a shortcut is just another way of providing a path to the file location (for which any one of the paths I included in the thread origin already work perfectly fine). That doesn't solve my problem, being that when the files are opened on anothers computer, the path is not the same as when opened on mine. From what I understand, the paths should work as given- "." being current folder. ".." being parent folder of the current folder.
            Capture2.PNG

Comment

Hmm... didn't see it that way :hide: Have no idea
              Alexandre Cantin

Comment