Cornice Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornice Question

Just curious, how is everybody else dealing with cornices, without splitting walls.
    Attached Files
    Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

What do you mean? I usually create these as a Wall Sweep.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
      What do you mean? I usually create these as a Wall Sweep.
      I find doing cornice with wall sweeps is a pain, without splitting walls they run straight through
      returns, overlap and give errors. Doing returns around wall ends is slow and painful.

I personally use a workaround by using model lines locked around the perimeter of the tops of walls
      then use a cornice profile set with Fascia Poperties (fascias and Gutters snap to model lines).
      Placing Cornice once model lines are in place is a breeze, they join just like fascias. just pick the lines,no corner problems and they wrap around wall ends.

Like I said I am curious how others work with them.
      Attached Files
      Mark Balsom

Comment

You're right in the clunkyness. It sucks sometimes. But you should have just posted this workaround in the tips and tricks segment! It's great!
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

I never do cornices, but unless you schedule them? I would find it easier to just create an in-place sweep... at least it saves the step with the model lines...
          Attached Files
          Klaus Munkholm
          "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

But I always do schedule them... And I hate In Place Families so I try to avoid them as much as possible...
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

Not a big fan of in-places either, but also dislikes model lines
              Klaus Munkholm
              "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Normally yes, but if you set the workplane for the model line to the top of the wall, you can actually pick the proper wall sides and it will place the line. So no drawing and stuff. This is about 95% faster then my previous workflow.

Come to think of it, that would probably also work for inplace families...
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

In place family is not as flexible. been there tried that !
                  The beauty of model lines is delete the model line that cornice segment is gone, add more model lines to continue chain.
                  With model lines on gable ends (where ceiling is flat) just run a line from top plate to top plate on either side to continue cornice level across gable end.

my work flow is
                  1. Create a line style as bright and heavy as you like called cornice ( I use red,4 weight), set work plane to top of wall (or desired plane).
                  2.Then work in thick line mode, this makes it easy to see the red lines as you pick the desired wall edges. Use Pick mode Lock obviously, and select what you need.
                  3.I then place ONE length of Cornice (Fascia). Then select one line and section of cornice, hit Temporary Isolate Category so all you see is your lines and cornice, then click away.
                  4.When the job is complete I go and reset Cornice line Style to Black-1 line weight and then the model line disappears into the top of the wall.
                  Attached Files
                  Mark Balsom

Comment

We use a line base family for our cornice. Works well. We have inbuilt angle parameters to miter the corners.
                    Andrew Harp
                    BIM Manager GHD
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
                    If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment