schedules and calculated values dumbfoundedness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

schedules and calculated values dumbfoundedness

I'm trying to determine the usable and rentable areas for a three story building. I've created areas within Rentable area plans and set their "Area Type" parameter to "Office Area" or "Building Common Area". I need to create a schedule that shows each office area's usable number, then multiply that number by the building's load (the sum of everything other than "Office Area") to determine each area's rentable area. I had to manually calculate and add the multiplier (total building / total load) to get the rentable areas. I'd like to replace the manually added multiplier with the actual calculated value but don't see any way to do this with the Revit-provided parameters. Is there something obvious i'm missing? This is my current process:
    1. Create a working schedule of all building areas to determine total building rentable area.
    2. Create a parameter for each area and added text "usable" or "load" to filter working schedules to determine the building's total for each of these categories.
    3. Create a sheet schedule to show each usable area's usable and rentable area, but had to manually add a calculated value (dividing the building total area by the building total load) for the multiplier.

I've attached my working and sheet schedules if that helps explain what I'm trying to do. As usual, I think I've missed something obvious because Revit does such a good job at interpreting the BOMA standard but I don't see this logical extension into the schedule. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lost again again; July 29, 2013, 08:19 PM. Reason: replaced .pdf with .jpg

Yes it's possible. Can you post the file to work with (cause it's a bit hard to write up). Or look at this blogpost: RevitForum Blog: Working with Schedules - Relationship between areas
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I've made the file small enough to upload (hopefully not removing anything relevant to the question). I've peeked at the blogpost: thank you for putting so much effort into that. I'll have to really study it to understand what you've done there and how to apply it to my situation.
      Attached Files

Comment

Actually, the solution is much simpler...
        In this case, Area = RSF right?
        And USF is everything that is not a Common Area?

So, if you rename "Area" to "RSF" and add the following formula to your "rentable area" calculated value:

if(usable space, Area, 0 SF)

you should be good to go.

However, if you don't want to show the lines with a Common Area type in them you'll need to take a few extra steps...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thank you for looking at this. I've had almost no experience with calculated values and creating formulas, so please forgive my ignorance. I assume you are suggesting changing schedule "area rentable sheet usable/rentable", because calculated value "rentable area" is only in that schedule.

I am having trouble renaming "Area" since it is a Revit parameter. So maybe this causes my next problem: Revit won't accept adding your formula to the front or back of what is currently in the "rentable area" calculated value.

The calculated value currently contains a number that I had to determine and provide by dividing "total building square footage" / "total building usable square footage". My goal is that I want Revit to calculate that number so I don't have to manage it as the boundary lines change (and they will).

I am filtering the schedule to just show usable areas, because the load areas should be absorbed on a pro-rated basis by the usable areas so that the schedule's total matches the schedule showing the sum of all areas.

Comment

In this case, Area = RSF right? Yes.
            And USF is everything that is not a Common Area? Yes.

I've duplicated the final schedule shown on the sheet (image attached) for these changes. After making the changes below, I see that calculated values are schedule specific: changing a calculated value in one schedule doesn't update it in another with a cv of the same name. Once I get this worked out I will go back and modify the sheet schedule.

I'm trying to follow your instructions, but I can't change the name of parameter Area and don't know if that complicates the next step in your instructions.

In calculated value "rentable area", I've replaced my formula with "if(usable space, Area, 0 SF)". This changes each usable area's RSF number to match the USF number. When removing the sorting by "usable space", this does give me a schedule with grand totals of usable and rentable. Now I need to get a ratio of these grand totals, then apply that ratio in a calculated value in my sheet schedule (image attached).

A larger question regarding Revit's inclusion of a rentable area scheme: Why would they implement 90% of the BOMA standard then stop short of full functionality, or did they and am I just not seeing that last crucial part?
            Attached Files

Comment

I'll try to restate this, as I'm still stumped.

I'd like to:
              1. Determine the "total building" area (which I've done).
              2. Determine the "total usable" area for the building (which I've done in a separate schedule).
              3. Save the ratio of these two numbers, "total building / total usable", as a calculated value.
              4. Apply this calculated value to each usable area to determine a rentable area for each.
              5. Grand totals of usable and rentable at bottom of schedule.

I'm trying to create a schedule matching the attached screenshot at post #6, without manually entering the ratio in the calculated value listed as RSF.

Is it possible to capture the total building area for use in a calculated value?

Is it possible to refer to a grand total in one (complete building) schedule in the other (filtered for usable only) schedule.

Any help is appreciated -- I'm flailing here, as you can tell by my returning to this issue so late on a Friday night!

Comment

Originally posted by lost again again View Post
                I'm trying to create a schedule matching the attached screenshot at post #6, without manually entering the ratio in the calculated value listed as RSF.

Is it possible to capture the total building area for use in a calculated value?

Is it possible to refer to a grand total in one (complete building) schedule in the other (filtered for usable only) schedule.
                Martijn, an update: I went through your blog post (in some places translating parameter and calculated value names as necessary to try to follow what your example is accomplishing) and think I've almost duplicated your final result. To answer my first question at post #7, yes you've shown how to capture the total building area for use in a calculated value.

I am still stumped on my second question. I can't seem to create a value for the usable area total within this schedule that is an area parameter and therefore available in further calculations. I've reposted my updated file, in case you can look at my progress and see if this next step is possible. I think I could get to the end of my quest with this last bit of information in my schedule.
                Attached Files

Comment