Revit to Navis Backwards Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit to Navis Backwards Compatibility

My only requirement for collaboration on my next project is to provide Navisworks .nwc files to the Contractor on a monthly basis. I'm not sure yet what version of Navis they are using but I'm assuming that the non backwards compatible issue is the same for Revit to Navis as it is to Revit to Revit? I'd love to do this project in RAC 2014 but unless there is some way around the compatibility issue I obviously won't be able to. Anyone have any good news for me?
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Navis can bring in and spit out old and new version ages, the exporter from revit only spits out the respective version age - so you'll be fine so long as the navis people are prepared to accept the .rvt and do the work thereafter.

EDIT
    debut = Revit. Thanks overly-clever predictive phone text.
    Last edited by snowyweston; April 21, 2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
      Navis can bring in and spit out old and new version ages, the exporter from debut only spits out the respective version age - so you'll be fine so long as the navis people are prepared to accept the .rvt and do the work thereafter.
      thanks Snowy, that's rather good news. What "work thereafter" would be required of the Navis people? I'd like to make sure that everyone is on the same page up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
        What "work thereafter" would be required of the Navis people?
        Well when you're the originating author (Revit, or otherwise) and are requested to provide an .nwc - it's on you to ensure the information exported is as required (which is fair)

For instance zone/system breakdowns* aren't uncommon, but it's usually simpler considerations like ensuring erroneous elements (i.e. sub-categories), and/or (un)necessary elements (i.e. sub-shared familes, or categories not required/requested for naviswork) aren't exported.

When the authors aren't asked to provide an .nwc, and the navis-based "coordinating" party are accepting the native formats, that conversion/import is on them - and so in turn, all the above is also (which isn't that much, but it's worth bearing in mind)

The "risk" (if we must talk about it) then also sits with them to ensure all the "correct" stuff is brought through, correctly.

*I've never worked on a project large enough to require this done at a model level and typically manage it through selection sets - but I know some who like to seperate their .nwc apart.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
          Well when you're the originating author (Revit, or otherwise) and are requested to provide an .nwc - it's on you to ensure the information exported is as required (which is fair)

For instance zone/system breakdowns* aren't uncommon, but it's usually simpler considerations like ensuring erroneous elements (i.e. sub-categories), and/or (un)necessary elements (i.e. sub-shared familes, or categories not required/requested for naviswork) aren't exported.

When the authors aren't asked to provide an .nwc, and the navis-based "coordinating" party are accepting the native formats, that conversion/import is on them - and so in turn, all the above is also (which isn't that much, but it's worth bearing in mind)

The "risk" (if we must talk about it) then also sits with them to ensure all the "correct" stuff is brought through, correctly.

*I've never worked on a project large enough to require this done at a model level and typically manage it through selection sets - but I know some who like to seperate their .nwc apart.

for the record, in my case we're talking about a .rvt file with only curtain wall, curtain panels, and curtain wall doors in it. Oh and some GMs for brake metal cladding, anchor clips, etc. No floors, walls (other than curtain walls), roofs, stairs, etc so this should be pretty simple for whomever does the .rvt to .nwc conversion. I wonder when the RAC 2014 .nwc converter will be available?

Also, Navis Simulate honors the version number and will not open a newer version of an .nwc or .nwd file. I'm on the fence about RAC 2014. I don't want to get 2 weeks into this project and figure out that 2014 won't be compatible with others on the team. That's 2 weeks of work down the toilet...

Comment