Default Wall Constraints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Wall Constraints

Maybe it's just Monday, but Revit doesn't want to remember my Wall Contraints.
    • I start the Wall command
    • Set the Base Constraint to "Lower Level"
    • Set the Top Constraint to "Top of Parapet"
    • Draw a Wall
    • Click on Modify (or do something else, like a Door)
    • Go back in to the Wall command
    • My Constraints are once again First Level and Second Level

Am I just having trouble thinking this morning? Didn't Revit used to remember the last Wall you drew and use those Constraints again?
    It's getting real old going back in and setting those Constraints again.

Yes, the Levels are "real" Levels - with Plans associated.
    Same Wall Type
    Nothing in between - this happens is I hit Escape, or click on Modify, or do another command, like Door
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Is the view you are in based on the Lower Level work plane? Have you modified the work plane using the Work Plane tool? Check those. Wall will always default to the work plane of the view you are in.
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

That makes sense for the Base Constraint, but the Top keeps resetting as well.
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

It's interesting that it's resetting to 2nd level since the default is unconnected - 20'. Looking into this to see if I can replicate it.
        .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

So work plane setting has no effect on the constraints in the wall tool. Also, it seems as though in my test project the constraints always remained set at what I had them last at. I've seen this happen before but unsure of what I did to anger the BIM gods. The closest I got to making the parameters change was going from setting the top constraint to Level 3 and coming back to find it unconnected - 10'6". Hasn't done it again since though.

Comment

Is the "original" wall Attached to a floor or roof above? Just a thought--sometimes if it's attached it will not let you change constraint properties.
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Hey, let's resurrect a 2 year old thread, shall we?

I'm having the same issue in 2016. Just noticed it yesterday. No matter what I do, all new walls start at "finished floor" level (which has an elevation of 0). Very frustrating. Anyone ever find out a reason why the constraints aren't sticking?
              Dan

Comment

Ditto: Wall Constraits always resort back to Defaults - Current Settings not Saved

Yes, please. Can anyone shed light on how we can change the default settings for the wall constraints (top and bottom), and to find out why any current settings made while placing a wall are not 'remembered' when the next wall is placed. Constantly having to 're-set' these perimeters to the same thing over and over is frustrating and a waste of time. :banghead:

And, while we are at it, could we try to figure out why Revit places the wall 'base' constraints ABOVE the 'top' constraints in the Properties Palette. :crazy: This is very non-intuitive, as most of us consider the top of the wall to be above the base.

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                Hey, let's resurrect a 2 year old thread, shall we?

I'm having the same issue in 2016. Just noticed it yesterday. No matter what I do, all new walls start at "finished floor" level (which has an elevation of 0). Very frustrating. Anyone ever find out a reason why the constraints aren't sticking?

Comment

Default Constraints in a new project are set by the last wall that was created when the Template was edited. If you want the first walls to be 10 feet tall, for instance, go in your template, model a 10 foot tall wall, then delete it, and save your template. Create a new project, click on walls... Ten feet tall.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    Default Constraints in a new project are set by the last wall that was created when the Template was edited. If you want the first walls to be 10 feet tall, for instance, go in your template, model a 10 foot tall wall, then delete it, and save your template. Create a new project, click on walls... Ten feet tall.
                    That hold true then, I assume, if someone changes that in the project? The next user who opens the file gets the new setting? It would explain some of what I'm seeing with walls wanting to be 20'0" tall by default. I thought the default was to the level above!

Edit: This only seems to apply to Walls created from the ribbon. If I drag-drop from the Project Browser they all default to 20'. Did I miss something?
                    GMcDowellJr
                    Forum Addict
                    Last edited by GMcDowellJr; November 2, 2016, 06:23 PM.
                    Greg McDowell Jr
                    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment