Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical Brick Coursing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Vertical Brick Coursing

    Hi all,

    We have recently been doing some large projects created form brick and blockwork. To date we have been using dumb text and placing the vertical coursing manually on the window sills and heads.
    I have tried to create a level marker that can calculate the course heights but have not had very much luck.

    Does anyone have an idea on how I can get this to work or would be open to sharing a family they already have??
    Any help appreciated.:whiskey:
    Andrew Harp
    BIM Manager GHD
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
    If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

    #2
    You can make a line based detail component that looks just like dimensions, and calculates brick coursing by dividing the dimension it measures by some predetermined (or parametric) amount. Its two clicks for each height, and looks like a dimension. Nested Generic Annotation's make the dimension ticks scale.

    You could TECHNICALLY get away with not having a line, and not having a tick at the bottom, to make it look like a spot elevation.

    But- without using some function of the API- you will need a two click dimensioning solution, not a spot elevation.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

    Comment


      #3
      Could you post a picture for clarification?
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

      Comment


        #4
        I dont have a picture, because i dont use it, personally. A dimension is the same thing, IMHO, so id prefer to give them a real dimension. Dimensioning in courses is all good as long as no one pulls the rug out in the Specifications and changes the size of the brick or block. So WHEN its up to me (it usually isnt) its regular real world dimensions. But, we do use the NON Courses one to deal with Revits craptastic concentric dimensioning inabilities.

        EDIT: They arent fool proof. Since theyre Line Based, they CAN deviate from the model. But, Spot elevations arent fool proof either. Especially with Coursing, since nothing actually mandates that coursing starts at an even Level.
        Attached Files
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          I dont have a picture, because i dont use it, personally. A dimension is the same thing, IMHO, so id prefer to give them a real dimension. Dimensioning in courses is all good as long as no one pulls the rug out in the Specifications and changes the size of the brick or block. So WHEN its up to me (it usually isnt) its regular real world dimensions. But, we do use the NON Courses one to deal with Revits craptastic concentric dimensioning inabilities.

          EDIT: They arent fool proof. Since theyre Line Based, they CAN deviate from the model. But, Spot elevations arent fool proof either. Especially with Coursing, since nothing actually mandates that coursing starts at an even Level.
          LOL, I was actually talking about the OP....
          there's some language in it I don't fully comprehend (we have a saying: I understand what he's saying but I don't get it...)
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            LOL, I was actually talking about the OP....
            there's some language in it I don't fully comprehend (we have a saying: I understand what he's saying but I don't get it...)
            I think it's about this (see attached)

            There was a thread about this same topic, in Augi, in july 09, where I proposed the solution shown in the image, and Aaron proposed some others. By the way, there was a guy in that thread in Augi, with a bad attitude, which made Aaron get mad and delete all his posts from that thread. I see that Aaron is kindly offering his solutions here in RFO, where everybody is nice.
            Attached Files
            Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
              I think it's about this (see attached)

              There was a thread about this same topic, in Augi, in july 09, where I proposed the solution shown in the image, and Aaron proposed some others. By the way, there was a guy in that thread in Augi, with a bad attitude, which made Aaron get mad and delete all his posts from that thread. I see that Aaron is kindly offering his solutions here in RFO, where everybody is nice.
              Ahhhh, so I didn't quite get it...
              I would be inclined to go the other way around and create shared (instance) parameters in the window family for this and have it calculate through the known dimensions in the family (being Sill Height, Window Height and as a user input the Brick's dimensions).
              I know that you have to set the brick/block measuring in the window family but at least it will updating when the windows size or position are changed. I think you cannot make this so that it responds to both the wall and window, so I'd go for the one that is most likely to change during the course of a project, and the easiest to adjust. And that would be the window...
              When you make this parameter shared you can schedule it and Label it. Using Select All, or the Schedule, you would be able to very quickly change the brick's dimensions.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

              Comment


                #8
                MdR, it MIGHT work, depending on how your content is set up:

                1. If youre using the OOTB Family Templates and Parameters: In the Window Family Editor its *Default Sill Height* but it is hardcoded to switch to just "*Sill Height* in the project. If this works like the Electrical content, WHEN you load it in to the project the formula wont calculate anything, because it will no longer make sense.

                EDIT: Its behavior is SLIGHTLY different, but different nonetheless. In the family editor its called DEFAULT SILL HEIGHT, which REMAINS when you load it in the project... As a type parameter. And it creates (on the fly) a SILL HEIGHT which is instance, by Properties, nullifying the formula. The Formula stays, but reads the Type parameter.

                2. If youre NOT using OOTB Family Templates, (like if youre using Face based, for instance) then you can "Build in" your own sill height and window height... But then you have to worry about someone editing the offset from the level in the Project Environment. I guess technically this DOES work, you just have to be careful, but thats the case with any of these solutions, and it might not be that bad to explain to everyone to never touch the Offset parameters, as we have to push that in to everyones head anyway.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

                Comment


                  #9
                  True off course... I actually don't use any of the OOTB parameters, just because they're in English. I add Dutch parameters and use those. So for me, the method would work.

                  A question about the OOTB parameters btw: there used to be the problem that the dimensions could not be deleted/deparameterized because the family would start to behave all weird (especially the visibility). Do you know if this has changed already?
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hello,

                    Would you be able to show me how you set up that coursing in the image please?

                    Thanks

                    Richard

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X