Sheet Issue schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheet Issue schedule

In our typical titleblocks, we have an area for sheet issuance data. (No, Description, Date). It's basically a revision schedule but without revisions. We use it to keep track of document issues that have gone out at various stages of the project (Design Development, Permit Set, Permit Comments, Construction Set, As-Built, etc.) Is there a way to do this? Or a way to do a revision schedule without using the revision clouds?

Thanks

Originally posted by j.white View Post
    ...Or a way to do a revision schedule without using the revision clouds?

Thanks
    In your sheet(s), in the properties box for the sheet, scroll down to the bottom of Identity Data. Look at "Revisions on Sheet;" click on the <Edit...> button. There you can check all the revisions you wish to show up on your revision schedule, even if there is no cloud on the sheet. If you set up "Revisions" for all your Document Issues, they will be available for you to check for the on-sheet revision schedule.
    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

This is a common one that comes up when "people" want to emulate a traditional drawing workflow within Revit, some use generic annotations, (built like your regular attributed CAD block) and place them on the sheets with each new revision - but because you can't (?) associate shared parameters to a generic annotation, you can't schedule them, per say - you can create a note block - but that works universally with all instances of the family the note block "schedule" is first assigned to when it's created (i.e. doesn't have the functionality of "on sheet" filtering like keynotes) so basically, it's "dumb" - not "dumb" as in "it's dumb to do it" but, just well, not very BIMmy, which often prompts Revit-evangelists to say "it is dumb" (but that's something entirely different altogether).

Personally, I'm one of those Revit-evangelists who keep the argument nicely tucked under my smock - I have tried to advocate the "new" concept that a drawing issue version at the very present moment is of prime importance - and revisions on that sheet, that apply to that revision are more important than what(ever) came before - especially when factoring modern day documenting methods that (can) do all your past-revision tracking and auditing for you - but "people" still want what they had before, so I let them flip tricks, dropping "dumb" revision blocks onto sheets - it doesn't bother me one jot they feel the need to cling on to the old ways - it's not me who will be trying to decipher the 1/2/3 line abv. "revision" description in months to come...

So that's that really - embrace the new (IMO better) [revision cloud + schedule system] + [OOTB drawing revision + issue date functionality] OR keep doing it the old way, if that's what makes you happy.

My 2pence.

EDIT
      OR....there's LeanneZ's perfectly acceptable way of expanding the revision system to add generic revision notes like "For Tender" etc, but I'm not keen on the hybrid system, it's one, or the other. But then I am a Black & White kind of person.
      Last edited by snowyweston; February 14, 2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking to do.

Comment

Snowy,

I agree with you in terms of embracing the "new". But I/We need to have both revisions and issues on our drawing sheets, just as a way that we've been doing business and would like to continue. I like the clouding/tagging method that Revit implements, but I like to be able to look at a titleblock of a drawing set and see when it was issued and why. Are drawing sets grow as we continue the project, so if I look at a Design Development set and a Permit set, I can tell which drawings were new to the Permit Set without having the hassle of clouding every change, because a lot probably changed. Then once in a permit set, I can make revisions and cloud them to identify localized changes alerting the builders and building official.

Comment

Originally posted by j.white View Post
            Snowy,

...without having the hassle of clouding every change, because a lot probably changed...
            Danger Will Robinson... "Not" clouding every little change? Uh Oh...Phase 6 here we come!

The Six Phases of an AEC Project:
            Phase 1: Preliminary Design
            Phase 2: Schematic Design
            Phase 3: Design Development
            Phase 4: Construction Documentation
            Phase 5: Construction-Contracts Administration
            Phase 6: Litigation
            -J
            http://about.me/JayZallan
            Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JBZ View Post
              Danger Will Robinson... "Not" clouding every little change? Uh Oh...Phase 6 here we come!

The Six Phases of an AEC Project:
              Phase 1: Preliminary Design
              Phase 2: Schematic Design
              Phase 3: Design Development
              Phase 4: Construction Documentation
              Phase 5: Construction-Contracts Administration
              Phase 6: Litigation
              I'd love to simply reply "quite" but clouding EVERY change can make a drawing totally unreadable - which is why I'm a keen advocate of the <Revised Since Last Issue> yes/no instance colour-override-by-filter parameter I have.

Not that I've had much success in seeing that adopted in it's entirety. :banghead:
              Last edited by snowyweston; February 14, 2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

With a bit of creativity one can cloud multiple items with one cloud, sometimes even the whole view if it has enough minor edits all over, simply cloud the entire view and create documentation listing those changes as addenda, if need be...just saying that might lessen the bumps/bruises to the forehead ;-)
                -J
                http://about.me/JayZallan
                Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

Well the issue isn't a need to cloud everything since the drawings are issued at milestones during the design phases. Even before Revit, we never clouded changes from Schematic Design to Design Development to Construction Documents, and I've never seen anybody that has. In my experience, clouds are used on revisions to the issued Construction Documents and Permit Set.

Snowy, I'd love to see an example of that color-override parameter you mentioned and how it works. Or at least just the background to why/how you developed it to work. I'm a big fan of automating as much as possible in the annotations phase to eliminate user-based errors (sp., note rewording, graphical errors, etc.)

Comment

Using Revisions on Sheets does what youre after, but it stinks because you have to do one sheet at a time. It wont let you in the dialogue if you multi select sheets. So we actually use revision clouds (that arent visible).

1. Go in to revisions, set the "non-revisions" revisions to Letters instead of numbers.
                    2. Place a small cloud in the titleblock above the rev scheduler where you will see it.
                    3. Copy > paste aligned > selected sheets > select all the sheets in your issue at once.
                    4. Go back in the rev settings, and tell that revision to not have clouds or tags visible (far right side).
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment