Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmare Roof Design - (for a beginner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare Roof Design - (for a beginner)

Hello Forum Members,

I am new to the Revit scene and am working on my first Revit project. So far I have successfully built a model in Revit of the project that I am working on, but have hit a HUGE stumbling block :banghead: I am trying to draw an existing roof design of a building that is going to be converted into flats.

The roof design has 3 levels. The main pitch on the right hand side is set at a higher point (5500mm). The flat roof is lower (4700mm) and the lower roof pitch at the rear is set at 3500. The roof angle will have a rough pitch of 39Deg.

How would I go about drawing this? Initially I tried to make one roof using pick walls and trying to adjust the roof that gets automatically generated, no luck with this. I have tried to split the roof into various components and drawing them individually, have just got confused doing this.

I would appreciate if anyone could show me the light.

Thank you in advance :whiskey:

Revit Noob

Sorry for using a jpeg just quickly took a snap on my phone of the plans I have to hand.
    Attached Files

You will need to create 2 roof elements to get this roof. One for the rectangle shaped larger portion that appears to be higher, and an "L" shaped lower roof section. when positioned close to one another they will give the over all roof shape you are looking for. Here is a quick example i modeled based off the image you posted.

example_roof.png

I am also attaching the RVT file so you can have a look at what I did.
    Attached Files
    Jeff Hanson
    Sr. Subject Matter Expert
    Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Thanks JeffH

Had a look at the example that you made. Thank you for doing this, it was easy to understand and see where to split the shape of the roof.

On the plans there is a flat roof section on the lower roof pitch at the bottom of the L shape. How would you model this?

Would you specify a cut off level then have the lower portion of the L shape flat roof for a flat roof to be inserted above. Or is there another way to do this.

Thanks for your help

Comment

That's exactly how I would do it. Or, you could model another rectangle inside of your L shaped roof sketch to make the flat "hole". Either way, throw a third roof in there for the flat one and you should be good.
        Dan

Comment

Sorry I missed the flat part of the roof. I realized after I posted but it looks like dzatto already filled in the rest of the answer for the portion I missed.
          Jeff Hanson
          Sr. Subject Matter Expert
          Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

You end up with part of one roof inside the other though - how do you avoid this? I've used in-place voids to cut the roof before but I was wondering if there was a better way.
            "I WANT SOUP! This fork is useless! I'm going to use my spoon for everything."

Comment

Are you talking about where the two roofs overlap? I'd join them to get rid of that. But you did remind of another way to do it: use a vertical opening on the roof.
              Dan

Comment

The L shape projects through the rectangle roof and keeps going, if that makes sense.
                "I WANT SOUP! This fork is useless! I'm going to use my spoon for everything."

Comment

Oh, that part. Nope. Just end the part of the L roof before it gets to the rectangular roof, then use the roof join tool. Once they are joined, you can edit the sketch of the rectangular roof and draw in the valleys (where it joins the L roof) as part of the sketch. That way, the rectangular roof won't pass through the L and vice versa.
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                    Oh, that part. Nope. Just end the part of the L roof before it gets to the rectangular roof, then use the roof join tool. Once they are joined, you can edit the sketch of the rectangular roof and draw in the valleys (where it joins the L roof) as part of the sketch. That way, the rectangular roof won't pass through the L and vice versa.
                    In the right circumstances the quicker, more 'Revit' way, though fraught with a few issues, is to use the 'Dormer' cut tool. See attached.

The dormer tool cuts the target roof horizontally, unlike editing the sketch as roof edges tend to be vertical.
                    Attached Files
                    I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
                    Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Comment