Porch and a Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porch and a Book

This is a twp part question. I hope that is OK.

First for the easy question. Is any one else using or has used the book by Daniel John Stine, Residential Design Using Autodesk REVIT Architecture 2012?

Second question is, How would I go about making a front porch with/without a roof? I only know what the book covers and I cant find anything in there right now about it. Is there a porch that I would find from Autodesk Seek.

Thank You

There's an OOTB porch/canopy under Q families (what are Q families, anyway?)

You can easily make a porch with the family editor, creating a generic model then using extrusions to create what you want. Might be worth playing with the OOTB families to see what you can make.
    "I WANT SOUP! This fork is useless! I'm going to use my spoon for everything."

Comment

I think it depends on how authentic you want the model to be. I often model porches as floors with roofs, stairs, railings, etc. If you want you can model the joist sysatem, add rim joists, ledgers, etc. Up to you, but unless you hav ea compelling reason to get into a lot of details I would keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by CADLee View Post
        First for the easy question. Is any one else using or has used the book by Daniel John Stine, Residential Design Using Autodesk REVIT Architecture 2012?
        I teach a college course in Revit and I use the Commercial Design Using Revit Architecture book by the same author. It is written very much like a text book for a college class. It has a lot of step by step instructions. It is a bit light on the Whys. It is depending on a teacher using the book as a text for an accompaning class. If you are looking for somethign to led you step by step through a project it is a fine book, if you want more of the Why? Then somehting else might be better.
        Jeff Hanson
        Sr. Subject Matter Expert
        Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

The Paul Aubin books are pretty good. I have one at the office, although more often than not I come here or to google for answers :hide:
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Jeff, you and I are just so similar.
            Came here to comment and I could pretty much cut and paste what you said.
            I, too teach a class, and I, too use Dan's book.

I haven't taught out of Paul's book, but I know a lot of the other books out there (like Krygiel/Read/Vandezande's Mastering) are great once you know what you're doing but not as much for a rookie just getting it to Revit.
            Dave Plumb
            BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment