Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't show / dimension walls above

RESOLVED at post #11 below.

I've got walls that start 15' above a plan level and continue to a high roof. I'd like to show the exterior extent of the walls as dashed, and to dimension to those walls in the plan view. I assumed I would use the trick of temporarily showing those walls as an underlay then use the linework tool to change only the exterior side of the walls to a dashed line. My model currently has only two levels (floor and roof), so I have only four options when applying the underlay tool (including plan and reflected ceiling plan for each level). None of these settings will reveal these high walls on my plan so I can use the linework tool. Am I unable to see these walls due to a view range setting, or something else?

Of course, I'm happy to hear if I'm going about this the completely wrong way!
    Last edited by lost again again; February 2, 2013, 05:45 AM. Reason: pointed to resolution of issue below.

Your method should work. But--since it is not, you might try using a Plan Region and set the View Range separately to show the high walls.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
      Your method should work. But--since it is not, you might try using a Plan Region and set the View Range separately to show the high walls.
      Thanks for the confirmation that my method should work. I wasted a lot of time on this seemingly simple task before asking the question here.

Using your tip to work around my non-understanding of underlays, I created the plan region to show the walls above, used the "override graphics in view" tool to change those walls' surface transparency to 100% (to emulate wire frame for these objects within the hidden line view), then used the linework tool to change the exterior side of the new walls to the overhead linetype and the the interior side to invisible lines. Issue inelegantly resolved, but resolved just the same. Thanks again!
      :thumbsup:

Comment

you should be able to use an underlay set to level 1, orientation RCP, to see the wall that starts at 15' AFF.
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          you should be able to use an underlay set to level 1, orientation RCP, to see the wall that starts at 15' AFF.
          I got pulled off the project after working around this issue and am back on it again now. I've got underlay set as you describe, but I still can't see the walls above. Per http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...ings-work.html, it sounds like the underlaid level's view range is set by the current view's view range.

I thought my view range settings may be causing the issue. I tried the following changes to the view range but they did not resolve my issue:
          View Range top currently set to unlimited.
          1. Changed to level above (roof).
          2. Changed to level above with 7'-6" offset.
          3. Changed to associated level with 7'-6" offset.
          4. Changed to associated level with no top offset.

So I added another level just below the 15' bottom of walls and set the underlay to it, RCP. No dice. I then changed the various view range settings top settings again. No dice.

I'm losing faith in the underlay tool. An obtuse question: can anyone confirm that underlays work? A more practical question: is there some option I've neglected to try? I'll have to go back to my workaround in the meantime.

Comment

Something doesn't sound right. I drew a wall that started 15' above level 1 and went up to level 2. I set the underlay as I described and it shows the wall like it should. So I'm confused. :laugh:

You are in a floor plan view, right? Not an RCP?

It shouldn't matter in an underlay (I don't think) but is there possibly a roof or ceiling or floor or something blocking the wall from being seen?
            Last edited by dzatto; February 1, 2013, 06:44 PM.
            Dan

Comment

Something doesn't sound right. I drew a wall that started 15' above level 1 and went up to level 2. I set the underlay as I described and it shows the wall like it should. So I'm confused. :laugh:

You are in a floor plan view, right? Not an RCP?

It shouldn't matter in an underlay (I don't think) but is there possibly a roof or ceiling or floor or something blocking the wall from being seen?
              I'm in a floor plan view. There is currently nothing between the floor level and the bottom of the walls starting at 15'. The walls are attached to the roof above. Neither the walls or roof are visible with any of the options I've tried. This is still a pretty simple model so there's not much to see with the underlay, but I'm having ZERO luck with the tool at the moment.

Comment

Okay, last shot here. I just did it again with walls attached to a roof and it's working.

The wall that is 15' AFF, is the base level set to Level 1? It should be if it's not. Does that help? I'm out the door to lunch, I'll check back in an hour or so. :thumbsup:

Can you post some screen shots of the model?
                Dan

Comment

The wall that is 15' AFF, is the base level set to Level 1? It should be if it's not. Does that help? I'm out the door to lunch, I'll check back in an hour or so. :thumbsup:

Can you post some screen shots of the model?
                  The walls are as you describe. I've attached a 3d view with walls highlighted: is that helpful? I can't show a plan view because the underlay tool is uncooperative.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried recreating the awning in a new project? It sounds like something is screwing it up, but I don't know what.

I did a quick rendition of your screen image, and it works as it should. I used the line tool to change the walls to overhead line type.

This was never asked, but the walls are turned on in the VG, right? :hide:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dzatto; February 1, 2013, 09:00 PM.
                    Dan

Comment